cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get a good deal

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Trying to get a good deal

As you know, I am after a new camera, and have been keeping a record of prices on three web retailers, in the hope that they will come down in price before Christmas !.... Well, one site has a "price match" offer...so I sent them an email giving them the results of my past three weeks watching prices, and asked if they could match the lowest..... (especially as they had just upped their price by £15 since I started watching them...... they were the lowest priced to start with.... I got a reply which generally said that the current price was the best they could offer, and it was very close to cost price!... I responded again pointing out the previous records on all three price comparisons. and pointing out that one was now offering the camera at a reduction on last weeks price by £5.00  This price reduction now represented the starting price of the "price watch" company. (£214.99 +p&P)  I pointed this out, and said if they could price match it, (from £229.99 + P&P) then they would have a deal within the hour.... Got the reply back about half an hour ago...
QUOTE.
I'm afraid we're unable to go lower than £229.99 plus delivery, but for that price, we can include the upgraded charger, an LCD screen protector worth £4.99, an adjustable mini-tripod worth £4.99 and a USB card reader worth £9.99.

If you'd like to go for this then please order online then reply to this email stating your order number and I'll amend your order,
UNQUOTE
Now, am I daft, or is the total of the "extras" £19.97 ?
and if you reduce the camera price without the "extras" (which incidentally I did not, nor do, not want... I have a mini tripod, and I do not need a USB card reader)
by this amount  £229.99 minus £19.97  Equals £210.02.....
Seems like they did not do their sums properly..... if they had accepted my bargaining offer of £214.99, they would have been "in pocket"  by approx £4.97....  instead, they lost the sale, as I am going to go to the other company !!!..

Yes, I did send them an email back, saying that the whole of the email should be put on the notice board, to show how to lose a sale and a customer !!!

5 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Trying to get a good deal

Wait till the VAT drops, that'll save you 50p  Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

IME 'free' 'included' or 'bundled' items are 'worth' about 25% at most of the claimed worth.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

leave it until after christmas and see the flood of bargains.
Denzil
Grafter

I bought an adjustable mini tripod in a market in Hong Kong for about a pound a few years back. The retail value might be £19.97, but the cost to them is much lower.
techguy
Grafter

Wait till 27th December or so Shutter