cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to clean and re-hydrate 8mm Film

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Trying to clean and re-hydrate 8mm Film

As the topic says, we are trying to clean some old 8mm film. tryed using just PEC PADS for the moment with no luck.

So I guess we need to move on to something more on the lines of alchohol wipes with a dab of mineral oil, but unsure if that would be veg of paraffin based oil

We seem to have water marks on some as well as what seems like very heavy dirt. getting a lot of pickup on the gate.

Any thoughts welcome plese.

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Trying to clean and re-hydrate 8mm Film

Just a thought @30FTTC06, but are you able to create yourself a wide tooth comb so you can wrap the teeth with various pads to do the cleaning. First few teeth alcohol, next few clean, next few with mineral oil, and the last ones just dry.

With the distance in the teeth wide enough, or slightly staggered you should be able to draw the film through the comb with minimal stress and clean and hydrate both side at once, after you've identified the oil type first.

My gut says it's paraffin based as I assume it was around long before veggie.

Community Veteran

Great idea, I'll seriously consider that, the info I was looking at just says to put some oil on the same pad as the Alchohol.

My guess was on Paraffin, but still looking....

Community Veteran

I can't see if this is available in the UK but this comes recommended from what I've just read.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DU20TZ6

You may already know about this but in case you don't:

http://www.film-tech.com/products.html

Community Veteran

The price of the stuff is just silly... at this point we are not even sure if the films will clean up or not, not that I am very savvy with 8mm stuff, but at a guess I would say the films we are trying to clean more than likely wont benefit much from any type of cleaning.

It looks as if a 2 year old has scribbled all over some of the film.

Cheers for the links, that was the stuff we was looking at, I know people are using some other types of wipes which use silicon which Is a bad idea imo.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

How about asking the restorers at a museum that uses film, or even the good old BBC?  They should be able to tell you what to get and where to get it.

Community Veteran

It seems there is so much stuff posted about cleaning... even WD40! believe it or not, REALLY.... hmm.

This stuff keeps popping up mostly where there seems common sense, but that will just clean the film. On reading further it seems hydrating the film which with some products also fills in scratches etc. It's a nightmare...

Community Veteran

Doing it with that frame by frame would be a nightmare you'd need to run the film through a bath of it so asking a preserver like the BBC is a good idea.