cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trusty PC is going to the Retirement Home

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Trusty PC is going to the Retirement Home

It is time for my discounted end-of-line Dixons PC to go to the retirement home. It still works fine, but cannot cope with modern life.

Modern Windows software is so bloated in terms of memory usage, but unfortunately difficult to avoid in daily safe internet use:

• Mbam uses 241 MB 
  • Sugarsync 131 MB
  • Kaspersky 148 MB
  • Dropbox 140 MB
  • Chrome 285 MB

All these lurking programs chew up about 4.5 GB of the 6GB maximum memory on my trusty 10 year old PC. When I start to run video feed applications such as TV the lack of spare memory cause buffering. I have to forget about trying to run video editing tools.  So I'm building a new PC with 32GB memory which will have roughly twice the processing power of the current one.

I reckon 10 year's service is the oldest PC  in use in the PN community. Wink

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Trusty PC is going to the Retirement Home

10 years young!
My trusty Dell 9100 that I got from FREECYCLE is well over that, and still in use daily.
4Gb of ram as well.

Dump M$ and try Linux for a change of pace.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I got several machines older than 10 years too. Most are lucky to have 512MB of SDram.

@AlaricAdair you claim its an end of line budget machine... but yet you frequently make out that you're minted.. so why not just buy a top end machine and get 20 years out of it instead? or are you just tight like most minters? Funny

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

7up wrote:

or are you just tight like most minters? Funny

Oh dear, he's spotted my true character Wink  

My son's comment on the new machine: Are you sure 32 GB memory will be enough? but he's a software developer and I tell him he part of the reason we need bigger PC memories because modern developers can't program for toffee.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@7up that`s how "minters" get to be minted  !!!!!

Minivanman
Hero

Well they say dementia and failing memory gets us all in the end but is it that, or is there just to much information out there?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Too true, they all use "software generators" now, big flashy programs that spawn acres of code when a few lines would do.
I started programming on an Acorn Atom (2K of ram) programming it in the basic & inline assembly code you could do then.
My first serious pc program was hand coded to fit as a TSR (remember them?) taking about 2K of ram when resident.
My last serious program (for amateur radio) was Winpack 7, 30,000 lines of hand written code. Mind you that was nearly 20 years ago now.

My only recent programs have been for Android and they were written using the Google generator, so ended up bloated like the others. (8Mb when they should have been in the K range.)