Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trust No One.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Trust No One.

The Mrs in her undoubted wisdom decided to switch to a different electricty supplier after our existing one hiked up the price. No problem we both thought as it was comfortably cheaper.

The company ceased trading the very next day.

"Sugar" we thought but no worries, as another company 'took charge' soon after keeping the original name - but then we had an update for our bill and one which told us that because of a "review of our usage" via the smart meter, they were going take an extra £90 a month from our account plus, we owed them £149. So that was it, after failing three times to get through to them on the phone I went onto their chat line tout de suite ready (after being number twenty in the queue) to give the poor person at the other end and small though it is, a piece of my mind. After well over an hour of 'chatting' they conceded that a mistake "they could not explain" had been made, and that we would now be paying them £5 less than we were before and lo and behold, we were now £130 in credit!

Taking the Mick, or a genuine mistake? Undecided

3 REPLIES 3
Community Veteran
Fixes: 24

Re: Trust No One.

A few "proverb" like statements come to mind.....

" The grass is always greener, on the other side...........of the fence/road/mountain "

" If it looks too good to be true,..... it usually is"..

"Sometimes, it`t better the devil you know,....... than the devil you don`t!."

I "could" get my dual fuel cheaper if I paid by Direct Debit.... however, I do like to "pay for what I use" rather than what they estimated.... ( which, never seems to "favour" the consumer`s bank balance, strangely"... )

I don`t have a "smart meter"... as I am sitting about three feet away from it, and I am smart enough to be able to stand up, open the cupboard door, and read the meters and punch the readings into the web page, thus getting an up to date bill in 24 hours...which is then paid immmediately, and forgotten about, until the next month... ( scheduled on the computer diary) ... SMART?  Of course I am ! ! ! Cheesy

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

I take your point about just being able to read your meter @shutter - but we need to stand ona chair to read ours beside which it also came with a separate little display meter that sits on the side in our kitchen and gives us a read-out of what is being used at any one time. A red light pops on when it goes over and above normal usage which comes in handy as it once did when it flipped on because unknown to us, one of the grandchildren had turned up the storage heater! 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 24

@Minivanman wrote:

- but we need to stand ona chair to read ours

Get a "selfie stick" and you can use your phone to read the meter..... and you have a "pictorial record" that you can save on the computer, for reference if they should decide that your readings are "duff"  ! ! !

I`m "smarter than the average bear ! "    Cheesy