Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trump, and that UK State Visit

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Trump, and that UK State Visit

Trump is due to to make a state visit at the beginning of June this year, but should it be cancelled?

Well some MP and activists think so, and even comrade Corbyn has stuck his two pennyworth in - which is a bit rich coming from a man who has sat down with both Hamas chief Khaled Mahal and China's President Xi Jinping. 

Donald is no pin-up on my wall but, he is the President of the US and arguably our closest ally like it or not.

Our record is not good with some of the guys the Queen has had a cuppa with - take Mugabe for one, but surely we should recognise the position if not the man and he is after all, here to represent his nation during those D-Day celebrations.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/23/politics/trump-state-visit-uk-gbr-intl/index.html

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
13 REPLIES 13
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Re: Trump, and that UK State Visit

If the queen is ok with it everyone else should do as they are told ( or have their head chopped of for treason ). If the poison dwarf Bercow starts grandstanding again he should be taken off to the tower, together with his mate Sadiq Khant.  He is the head of our biggest ally and this should not get into personalities, we have had far worse people ( although I have to say I like Trump ) and very few people objected. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visit if he must but I don't think Trump should be granted the privilege of ceremony of a state visit.

artmo
Community Veteran

This was covered on MSNBC earlier in the week. Trump will use the visit to showcase his campaign for re-election as President. The Queen is highly respected in the US and pictures of the two of them together will not do him any harm.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

So how are they getting his two 'beast' of a car over here. Must be one heck of an expense plus all that security and like kings and queens of old with their mile long retinue. All Churchill had was his bottle of whiskey and a box of his favourite cigars!

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

I doubt that Trump would want anything to do with Comrade Corbyn anyway, the man is an embarrassment to the UK and it would do Trump no good at all to be photographed with him.  Better for Corbyn to refuse to meet Trump than for Trump to hit him with a good right hook maybe.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/10/03/jeremy-corbyn-has-a-soft-spot-for-extremists-ira-hamas-hezbolla...

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Anonymous wrote:

... I don't think Trump should be granted the privilege of ceremony of a state visit.

Theresa May conveyed HM's invitation to him a very long time ago, and the Queen does not withdraw her invitations.  A state visit is effectively one state visiting another, in this case the US visiting the UK.  Mr Trump just happens to be the head of state of the USA at the time of the visit.  A snub of this visit is a snub to the US, the American people etc.

artmo
Community Veteran

All transportation used by the President on a visit is flown over in advance of the visit. This includes helicopters.

The official plane is designated Airforce 1 and the helicopter is Marine 1. For security reasons there are decoys which are used as well.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@artmo 

Thanks for the information, I'll pass it on. Wink

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@artmo wrote:

All transportation used by the President on a visit is flown over in advance of the visit. This includes helicopters.

For security reasons there are decoys which are used as well..

His security people are also allowed to carry guns on UK soil.

I wonder if they'll be able to find locals with the same hair 'style' to act as decoys. Laugh

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Corbyn turns down an Invitation from the Queen.

Should she be required to summon him to the Palace to invite him to form a government I wonder what she might say to him ?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

"I hope you have not brought a bottle of your home made cabbage wine"

artmo
Community Veteran

@artmo wrote: Trump will use the visit to showcase his campaign for re-election as President.

Joe Biden has declared for the Democratic candidate to fight Trump. He is one of about 20 candidates for the Democratic nomination. He stands a good chance of getting it and a good chance of defeating Trump. A good ticket would be Biden fighting with Elizabeth Warren as his VP.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well he certainly has the political pedigree, and if he was a military man he'd have more medals on his chest than a Russian marshal, but the guy is knocking on a bit.

Still, never say never in U.S. politics after all, if Trump can get elected... 

With China on a roll, I reckon the Republicans will take it again next time - but with an even greater majority sad to say.