cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble in the Parcel Queue

Fixes: 47

Trouble in the Parcel Queue

I have just been down to our local sorting office to collect a parcel.
They have recently started opening on Saturday mornings and it's proving quite popular judging by the long queue outside the tiny office.
As I arrived at the doorway I could see a stockily built man in his late 20's talking at the glass fronted counter. I heard him say "are you calling me a liar?" and the next second he had climbed onto the counter and squeezed through the small serving hatch dropping to his feet inside the office.
"Give me my parcel you twat" he said, grabbing a large square box. He then pushed it through the serving hatch, followed it and strode out of the door and down the path muttering twats and cunt.
I heard someone inside call something about phoning the police but he was gone in a screech of tyres and smoke.
Quite a morning.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
15 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Trouble in the Parcel Queue

Wonder what upset him?
Fixes: 47

Just the 20 minute wait I guess.
However I did hear him say "there were three people in the house that day. Why didn't he leave the parcel?"
To which the man behind the counter replied "I'm sure there were"
Then came the reply from the customer "are you calling me a liar?"
Maybe that had something to do with it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Could it be that having been left an "as you were out" note when everyone was in, and having queued for 20 minutes, he had then been asked to produce identification that he didn't have with him? Or he could just have been a thief.
Parcel Force used to ring the bell and run away. These days the trend seems to be to same time and not bother ringing the bell!
A few years back I had a delivery of some DVDs. I saw the van arriving and headed to the door. The bell rang but before I could open it the driver was across the road.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

[quote=jmdlp]Wonder what upset him?
Maybe he'd had enough of the guy at the back of the queue, singing "Go Compare !" for 20 minutes  Wink
Community Veteran

maybe I'm lucky.  If a parcel won't go through the letterbox my postie will leave it out of public view for me to find when I get home.  If a signature is needed he will knock on neighbours doors to ask them to sign for receipt. 
TicnTac
Grafter

If the RM Parcel Team reach their time quota, they will just delivery cards not parcels, this is only normally the case in large cities, so despite travelling around with a van full or parcels for the houses concerned they will just pop in 'you weren't in cards'. Daft, but they are actually only sticking to some daft policy  Roll eyes It would also be the same if a foot postie reaches their weight quota, the small packages they take with them, well, if they are over the weight for that round, they will just pop in the 'you weren't in card'. There are so many daft little things that go off in the world of royal mail, having a family member who's been working for them for over 20 years, sometimes it's very hard on the ears when they talk about the goings on  Shocked I'll find out tomorrow if they know anything about the privatisation, that could make things interesting for them when they go back to work on Monday  Grin It true what a previous forum post contained about RM workers and Royal Mail themselves living in their own little bubble not really knowing much about the goings on in the outside world!
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
If a parcel won't go through the letterbox my postie will leave it out of public view for me to find when I get home.  If a signature is needed he will knock on neighbours doors to ask them to sign for receipt.   

Not a good idea to shout too much about that in public as your postie will be on a disciplinary if TPTB get to hear about it  Sad
Lots of unhappy people in the PO at the moment.
Community Veteran

Quote from: MrC
Not a good idea to shout too much about that in public as your postie will be on a disciplinary if TPTB get to hear about it  Sad
Lots of unhappy people in the PO at the moment.

Do you think TPTB know where I live Undecided  I think if the postie is following my instructions then he would be in the clear.
Community Veteran

Counter staff at Post Offices are [Censored]. They are unhelpful, rude and patronising. I not surprised there aren't more incidents in Post Offices like strat described at the sorting office.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
I think if the postie is following my instructions then he would be in the clear.

I think it would need to be a written authorisation to your local sorting office - and even then I'm not sure if they'll do it. Our neighbours are friendly with a lot of posties and some of the tales they tell of the modern PO's management are a bit dire, and I've known of at least one postie getting fired for leaving parcels at somewhere other than the destination address.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oddball
Counter staff at Post Offices are [Censored]. They are unhelpful, rude and patronising. I not surprised there aren't more incidents in Post Offices like strat described.

Strat's talking about a sorting (or perhaps more probably, delivery) office though, Oddball. Having said that, I have real problems with my local Post Office staff too… they're pleasant enough, but they're all foreign enough for their native tongues to be some other language that's definitely not English. Which might not be a problem, if it weren't for the fact that their English is mediocre, and they babble away between themselves in whichever language it is that they use. Furthermore, their knowledge of postal services isn't great… for example, they often seem to have trouble understanding international addresses so they always enter them incorrectly on the receipts that're supposed to act as certificates of posting.
Community Veteran

I don't think people like that should be given jobs in Post Offices, as they are clearly unsuitable.
When I go to the Post Office now I always act as though I understand nothing and make the miserable sods explain everything to me in great detail. Then I complain vociferously about the charges. Be3G, I think I would enjoy myself at your Post Office.
Community Veteran

I live in a small rural area in Essex.  Our post office is at the back of a local store and staffed by very pleasant and helpful people.  Our sorting/delivery office is in the High Street at the front of the sorting office.  Again good service from nice staff.  Only problem is that it only opens an hour a day and not on Saturdays.  This makes collecting a package very difficult for someone who works.
Community Veteran

Royal Mail do have a service, I believe, where you can have a missed parcel redirected to your local Post Office… for a charge of 50p. Though having said that, I seem to recall that they waived the charge during the festive season last year.