Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble at Tesco

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Trouble at Tesco

Popped into Tesco's earlier for a few items as we were in town for things I did not think we needed but the Mrs did, and crikey blimey o'reilly what trouble trying to get around the place. Of late during the past year I normally sit and wait in the car as the light of my life trundles off to do her bit, but this time I'd thought I'd stretch the old legs by tagging along. 

I Should have stayed in the car.

Getting passed others in the aisle with a shopping trolley was bad enough during those 'normal times' in the past but now it's just plain impossible, made worse by Tesco staff themselves clogging up the place (through no fault of their own) with those multi basket layered contraptions being loaded up for on-line shoppers. They were blinking everywhere, like overgrown hamsters trying to stuff themselves up with food they themselves do not need.

What on earth have we all become. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
23 REPLIES 23
TTman
Seasoned Champion

Re: Trouble at Tesco

By Eck @Minivanman  never thought that you would be the one to start a thread on Tesco. Youre not trying to steal somene elses crown are you????🤣🤣

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

The Tesco supermarket where I usually shop used to be full of staff shopping for online customers and they seemed to think that it was their right to obstruct access for customers who'd bothered to turn up to shop in person.  Then suddenly they all disappeared so it looks like Tesco have opened a warehouse to cater for online orders.  There is currently a TV series about Tesco (Inside Tesco) on C5 but I'm not planning to watch it.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

Sorry, I'll go and sit on the naughty step. 🙂 

Thomas A. Edison
Strat
Fixes: 515

Wait until they start rolling out their new system akin to Amazon's high-street shop.

Leave your cash and cards at home, we'll take payment for your shopping straight out of your bank.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 90.0.2 (64-bit)

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I fell out with Tesco's last week! I applied to the one round the corner from me and passed the online assessment, they rang me up last Wednesday offering an interview, I said I could go that afternoon, but like a fool I told them I have carers and was disabled, so then 2 hours later I get an email "after careful consideration...", careful consideration my foot! It's a clear case of disability discrimination IMO.

Do you see? Cheesy
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@MrAllen2021 

If it's that clear to you I suggest you follow through - although from I have seen and read Tesco have quite a solid policy when it comes to any form of discrimination well founded or otherwise.

What came first, discrimination, or the ever increasing reasons for discrimination. 

Personally I am losing count of the latter... as well as patience.  

Thomas A. Edison
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

I'd willingly take the Tesco to task for it but I don't have a Lawyer Sad

Do you see? Cheesy
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 7

@MrAllen2021 

Perhaps after being made aware of your circumstances in the later contact with you they decided that the job was not suited to whatever your disability was - not all jobs can be performed satisfactorily by a disabled person.

Long story short, at a place I worked many years ago I was given the task of hiring someone to work as a warehouse-person / delivery driver.  The job involved frequent climbing of ladders to fetch boxes down, operating a forklift, and driving a van.

The first applicant only had one arm but he was adamant he could do the job.  IMO there was no way he could, safely or otherwise.  Go figure.

MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

It's still a clear cut case of discrimination after saying "guaranteed interview for disabled applicants if you meet the criteria" IMO, they offered me an interview, even though I ticked the disability bit on the application form, and then as soon as I told them I have carers and they'd probably seen me walking round the shop, with carers, they rejected, a bit suspect no?

Although, I gave them another chance, and have applied for a Checkout Operator position in S7 (probably the big one at Archer Road down Abbeydale), I'll get some help from my Job Coach tomorrow to do the online assessment.

Do you see? Cheesy
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

Also, rightly or wrongly I've been saying since the Equality Act came in in 2010 that it's not enforced and guys like me will probably never work beyond the voluntary sector, like my job coach at Big Ambitions wants me to go back to working in Charity shops, BIG no! Over the last 20 odd years I've been there, done that and literally worn the T shirt in some cases.

One of my first jobs post College in May 1995 was working full time at the Oxfam on King St, I hated it, especially when the former Castle Markets were closed on a Thursday so nobody went down that end of Town, no customers in the shop.

Do you see? Cheesy
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@MrAllen2021 

Sounds to me like to are jumping the gun by deciding for yourself that there is a "clear cut case of discrimination" and making mention of a lawyer. 

I suggest you check with somebody like the Citizens Advice Bureau first as to whether unlawful discrimination has happened, because if you want to take court action you need to be more than reasonably sure that such has taken place according to the Equality Act.

Not demeaning checkout operators, but that is all the job is after all and damages if any are bound to be minimal at best. 

Thomas A. Edison
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

It's still a clear cut case of discrimination after saying "guaranteed interview for disabled applicants if you meet the criteria" IMO, they offered me an interview, even though I ticked the disability bit on the application form, and then as soon as I told them I have carers and they'd probably seen me walking round the shop, with carers, they rejected, a bit suspect no?

I don't particularly like Tesco and have had many bad experiences with them over the years so don't see me as defending them but..

There is a two sided version of this in reality. They did offer you an interview - over the telephone. That's legal and they've kept their obligation in that respect. The other part is that they can't and won't have non-Tesco staff going round with one of their employees. It would cause all sorts of legal problems such as who's insurance they fall under if they go out to the stock room with you for instance. What happens if your carer has a trolley fall off a lorry onto them for instance? Tesco can not be expected to provide insurance and training for people they do not employ and there wouldbe health and safety implications for this too. In shot, Tesco cannot be forced to accept legal liability for staff they do not employ. Also if you need these carers with you to do your job then you are not capable of doing the job reliably to meet their business needs and in law, they are covered for not employing you.

If you didn't need your carers with you, then yes you could argue that you could do the job to the best of your ability and they'd be discriminating against you however unfortunately (and you won't like me for saying it) that's not the case. The law does recognise that some disabled people are simply not suited to some positions. EG someone in a wheelchair isn't going to be employed as a police constable patrolling the streets. The disabled person might scream that it's discrimination but the reality is that a copper needs to be able to pursue a suspect by running and the law would accept that.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

I wouldn't have the carer with me while I was working.

In actual fact like I said last week, I have given them one last chance and have applied for a Checkout Assistant role in S7, bit awkward to get to but in the unlikely event I come to it, I'll cross that Bridge somehow.

Do you see? Cheesy
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

But did you make that clear to them? - Because in your reply here, the way it's written makes it sound like you would have the carers with you at work going round with you:

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

I told them I have carers and they'd probably seen me walking round the shop, with carers

These days you can't tell a potential employer too much. Honesty is the best policy is a policy that doesn't work at the interview stage. You put your best foot forwards, don't tell them anything they won't like and just get your foot in the door by getting a job offer.

Once you've started, they cannot legally get rid of you for disability so you can later divulge your problems to your manager if you need / want to. They cannot then dismiss you and most wouldn't want to have it on their conscience either however recruitment teams are known to be over zealous with things like disability recruitment. Some companies might try to get rid of disabled emplyees by stitching them up for gross misconduct etc but employment tribunals aren't stupid and it's hard for companies to prove that they were not discriminating and took all steps to assist the employee.

Bottom line, don't volunteer too much negative health information. Tick the disabilities box yes, that puts them in the position of honouring their legal obligations towards you however after that give them as little information as possiblke until you actually start work there. Trust me, i've had to live through this myself.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!