cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trooping the Colour

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Trooping the Colour

For the first time in several years due to other commitments, I've been able to watch the Trooping of the Colour live on TV rather than the highlights later.
I never cease to be enthralled by this spectacle. Others may try to emulate it, but nobody does this kind of ceremonial quite like "us"
I would love to get a ticket, but I understand they are like gold dust and highly prized, nobody but nobody "touts" them.
I could do without Claire Spalding popping up at intervals though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Trooping the Colour

Clair Balding is lucky to be able to pop up, she has very recently had a cancer op and her thyroid gland removed.
we had the first 21 Gun salute in Colchester this morning, artilliary detactment of the Para's
Also the Fly paste usually comes down past Colchester and over Chelmsford a few minutes before 1300 hrs
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ooop's sorry Clair, completely misspelt your name. Didn't know about the cancer either.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Always a great event which we do so well here in the UK.  Takes weeks of preparation and the rehearsals are held very early in the mornings before the roads are busy with traffic.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes Clairs event was in May  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6386972.ece

Heard the Flypast planes, was surprised it wasnt shown live on Tele, thought it normally was
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Also the Fly paste usually comes down past Colchester and over Chelmsford a few minutes before 1300 hrs

I always used to enjoy seeing this flypast when I lived in Essex, except one year - I was flying a glider in the circuit at North Weald just after 1pm, at about 1500 foot and within our own airspace - when I glimpsed out of the corner of my eye some smoke, looked around and saw a formation of Vulcan, Phantoms etc bearing down on my about a mile away and at the same height ! ! !  - I stuck the nose down and dived down to about 800 feet within seconds - and saw the formation pass just overhead.
We should have reported the air miss - but instead someone just phoned RAF Wattisham air traffic to complain. Abject apologies were received, a few RAF pilots had seen me and we left it at that.

But I agree - Trooping the Colour is a brilliant display - I love it and always watch when I can - but missed this year  Angry
StickyMick
Grafter

The flypast actually forms up above our town here. Saw them all last weekend forming up. A flight of EF2000s in diamond formation followed by a Nimrod + 2 Tornado GRs which were followed by the Queens Flight 146 + 2 Tornado ADVs. Then came a VC10 and 2 more Tornado ADVs.
Over the years it's been scaled back quite considerably by a reduction in the number of aircraft taking part and the number of circuits they make while forming up. I believe if they take a 180 heading from our lighthouse it takes them straight down the Mall.
Community Veteran

Mal, I have to say you do come up with some cracking stories. I do enjoy them Smiley
Community Veteran

The route is published in a NOTAM - and I dare say it is online these days.
But surely the Mall is aligned at about 225 degrees
Community Veteran

A bit of video of this year's fly past and the route as well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuart166axe/3623971156/
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8098729.stm

OK
name all the aircraft - and subclasses,
and their ID  Cheesy