Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trooping the Colour

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Trooping the Colour

I usually watch just the highlights rather than the whole show but a fine spectacle it was yesterday none the less, although I'm torn as always between pride and resentment.

Things change with females in the ranks and we even had one in the Household Cavalry trotting down the Mall, and of course a much greater ethnic diversity elsewhere across the parade ground which to my mind at least is long overdue - but why no change as the top? 

Trooping of Colour seems more like trooping the officer class system and more's the pity, but then what else can we have expect - apart from more of the same next year.       

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Trooping the Colour

Most of the senior Officers are born into families with a history of military personnel, therefore it's going to take a while for a greater ethnic diversity to come through the ranks. With encouragement they'll get there....

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Don`t knock it....  It is also shown LIVE on mainstream German Television... and commands a big audience over there... I am sure that quite a few other european countries show it live on their tv statlons too... So, not only does it draw in thousands of world wide tourists,... our Royal Family, and the ceremonials that we do, are still a powerful image that other countries want to emulate, and enjoy. There is a lot of interest in our Royal Family from the folks in Germany.. and many of our "period" and " historical / documentary" type programs are shown over there.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Well they would do, half of them are related to the Royal lot at the top! Wink

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

Not necessarily, one poverty struck young man from Austria did quite well for himself back in the 1930s. And then of course we had that liitle man from a modest Italian background who eventually became Emperor of the French! 

But yes, I take your point. Smiley

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

May I refer @Minivanman  to the title of this thread which he himself created....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

What am I missing?

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

I used to be lucky enough to be able to go to the rehearsals with my grandparents when I was younger. Used to look forward to a day in London and the pomp and ceremony that went with it. My Grandad was at Cavalry Barracks in Hounslow, so used to get tickets every year. Was never important enough t get a invite for the big day though Sad

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I was disappointed with the fly-past; usually there are more aircraft and they fly right over my roof, with the Red Arrows still in formation, on their way to Brize Norton.  This year they must have taken a different route since I didn't hear them at all.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Because of D-Day, apparently they had plans to fly over some wartime vintage aircraft but cancelled because of the weather?

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:apparently they had plans to fly over some wartime vintage aircraft but cancelled because of the weather?

Yes, seems old aircraft don't like bad weather. Same happened at RIAT last year. The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) flypast got cancelled at the last minute due to thunder storms near by. Annoyingly they'd moved on about half an hour later.

Mind you, have we got any aircraft left? All I ever see is the Red Arrows Grin

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It won't be long until the troops are riding around on Unicorns, waving Rainbow flags!