cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trival question regarding ADSL2.

ExtremeZero
Grafter

Trival question regarding ADSL2.

A mere trival question that's been bugging me for a bit.

How much does the cost and time of upgrading an Phone Exchange that's still ADSL-Max into the more recent ADSL2+ service range towards? I imagine that the amount of time delaying in establishing a outdated upgrade towards exchanges that are still in the legacy network would be a waste of time if the upgrade is still miniscual by the time it gets sorted.

8 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Re: Trival question regarding ADSL2.

Sorry I've no idea of costs, BT probably regard such information as commercially sensitive. However ADSL Max equipment will in time become uneconomic to maintain. I expect BT are working on plans to deal with this, but much will depend on the localities involved and sources of funding.

Has your local council any plans to improve broadband provision in your area?

David
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

spraxyt wrote:

... much will depend on the localities involved and sources of funding.

Has your local council any plans to improve broadband provision in your area?

The local Council or BDUK will NOT be interested UNLESS any upgrade work helps them improve their coverage figures for 'Superfast' speeds (i.e. >24Mbps or >30Mbps depending on which Council).

For those of us stuck on 20CN ADSL-Max, and would be happy with an upgrade 21CN ADSL2+ (rather than more expensive FTTC), we seem to have been forgotten.  All BT's manpower has been diverted away from the retirement schedule of 20CN exchanges (was due for completion in 2012) to the more lucrative BDUK 'Superfast' fibre projects - and the additional funding that attracts.

Angry

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

some of the older 20cn gear areas cant be upgraded due to a change in size of the equipment and or planning /resizing of the exchange building problems, which was the reason given for BT opting to retain the existing hardware on an "as and when new gear comes available and it becomes possible we will upgrade it until then we will ensure we have sufficient supplied to maintain the current provisioned service" that was stated nearly a decade ago but chances are there still working to that plan despite fibre options being generally slimmer in space requirements however they tend to require larger power transformers, and as such BT struggle with getting certain parts upgraded without significantly more capital expenditure than would be returned in a ten year period from increased revenues from the newer equipment, however some of those locations have since been targeted for FTTB/P upgrades which is vastly more beneficial for the end user and a lot simpler to roll out than the hybrid FTTC in terms of upgrading the hardware in the exchange and its associated power requirements, sucks for people stuck on the older service at least for now, maybe after brexit BT will realign its infrastructure to a simpler product lineup where everything is the same and dirt cheap to maintain rather than its current legacy mishmash of failing and defunct costly to retain hardware .....we can but hope everywhere will get pure fibre scalable up to a couple of TB/s speeds in the coming years (highly unlikely though given the current direction things are moving in)

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

BT have been doing some exchange upgrades, according the the WBC National Service Migration Schedule spreadsheets, 904 exchanges were upgraded over approximately the past 12 months. In some places, it has been done after or around the same time as FTTC became available in that area.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Do those spreadsheets indicate how many exchanges are still waiting for upgrade ?

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

you can check it out here

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/help-and-support/network-information.htm

but you need to sign up for a BT website login if you don't already have one its the 3rd drop down (first one with a padlock symbol) that should give you the info your after

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

From the same link, under "National Service Migration Schedules & CP Forecast Templates", no login needed. Yes they do list exchanges pending upgrades, there's one remaining. So they've pretty much got to the end of the current round of upgrades.

ExtremeZero
Grafter

Naturally my phone exchange isn't listed in any of the spreadsheets which to me isn't a surprise but still annoying when other neighbouring areas have made the jump a while ago.

I'll most likely contact the council like Spraxyt suggested.