Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip Advisor

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Trip Advisor

The Bridge Inn in Middleton in Teesdale closed for business in 2011

During 2014 - 2016 it got a number of reviews from people who claimed they had eaten there recently.

Are these reviews ever worth reading if you are going somewhere for a meal ?

Indeed are any of these review websites even worth looking at ?

Ref: BBC News.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Trip Advisor

No, neither do I contribute to them good or bad... well I did once in the early days. Embarrassed

They must think we are complete idiots... don't answer that!

Highlighted
Pro

It's certainly a problem.  Without Trip Advisor we would never have found a superb Chinese/Malaysian restaurant in Oxford.  But because Trip Advisor gave glowing recommendations to a radar museum, we visited it last week and were bored to tears.

I now realise it's wise to read the poor reviews as well as the initial ones, and to check the date of the most recent ones.

For everybody's sake, obviously false reviews should be reported to the site via the Help Centre.

(I trust the Google and social media reviews even less.)

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

"...glowing recommendations to a radar museum"?

You should have seen that coming! Wink

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

"Astroturfing" is hardly a new phenomenon and not just confined to the internet either

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Astroturfing?
That's a new one on me so I had to look it up.

'The deceptive practice of presenting an orchestrated marketing or public relations campaign in the guise of unsolicited comments from members of the public'

We live and learn, but puzzle at how such could be presented - and who are these 'members of the public' giving us advice. Best just to listen to friends and family as unlike the internet they can at least be held accountable for what they say. Wink
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@ffox wrote: I now realise it's wise to read the poor reviews as well as the initial ones, and to check the date of the most recent ones.

Something I usually start with. Even recent good ones depend on the day etc. I don't just look at one website though. More is better than just one or two sites though. As you delve in you start to get the drift of the place.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

With Argos you are only allowed to review a product if they invite you to do so.

I tried to review the latest 'improvement' to a well-known brand of instant coffee; I was very polite but expressed a dislike of the newest version as well as the previous one, and suggested that they should reintroduce the original (and to my mind very tasty) product as a separate line, perhaps calling it Classic + Brand name.  I didn't read the rules for reviewing their products (does anyone?), but was informed that my review didn't comply with them and would not be published.  I can only assume that nothing short of a glowing review would be accepted.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Jonpe wrote: but was informed that my review didn't comply with them and would not be published.  I can only assume that nothing short of a glowing review would be accepted.

Yep, been there. One reason I stop doing reviews, not just for Argos but for quite a few companies. I like nitty gritty reviews, warts and all, living in the real world. As you mention Argos, most of the reviews seem to be 5* and glowing. Looking at some reviews I got this. Maybe the website knows something Smiley

argos screenshot.jpgYes, I did buy a TV from them (pretty painless to be honest but I did collect it) but the reviews I read for it came from elsewhere.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:
Astroturfing?
That's a new one on me so I had to look it up.

'The deceptive practice of presenting an orchestrated marketing or public relations campaign in the guise of unsolicited comments from members of the public'

We live and learn, but puzzle at how such could be presented - and who are these 'members of the public' giving us advice. Best just to listen to friends and family as unlike the internet they can at least be held accountable for what they say. Wink

' Best listen to family and friends'...........To be honest I do not bother doing that or recommend a place I have been no matter how good unless it was a holiday destination and even that can be subjective.....what turns out to be a great location when it's sunny can be just as awful if it rains all the time.

As for pubs and resturants been to some good ones but you go back some time later only to find it under new management and disappointing, not uncommon to see someone build up a successful business, Pub, holiday company, etc only to sell out to people who cannot provide the same standards as before.....I accept there are exceptions but rare imo

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Jonpe 

There are a few sites like that.

It's misleading and they should be forced to state negative reviews will not be published.

Currently under investigation is booking.com for saying....only 1 room left or a number of other people are currently looking at this booking.

Highlighted
Pro

Take 'em all with a big pinch of salt is the answer.

I rarely bother to rate things, and only do reviews if something is either excellent or atrocious.

But it's got silly. You buy something and they want you to review it.

I think my best so far was that I bought a bag of 8mm bolts from Screwfix as "stock" because I wanted a few, and a bag was as cheap.

I mean, what can you say about bolts?

"They are shiny and fit 8 mm nuts"

They need to get real.

Reviews for a local Chinese take away were glowing after a recent takeover.

It used to be dire.

So a few weeks back we thought we'd give it another go.

It was worse.

Kept waiting for 45 minutes for a pre-ordered meal.

Food was awful. A curry that had cheap fatty, tough, meat, and tasted of nothing.

So much for reviews!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

"To be honest I do not bother doing that or recommend a place..."

I see nothing wrong with listening to the opinions of family and friends after all, it does not mean you have to act on them any more than those we recommend films that in our opinion are great and for them turns out rubbish.

It's all a matter of taste and choice.

Over and above that, the point I was trying to make was that unlike the Trip Adviser' type sites, they can be held accountable for what they tell us - and I am always wary of those who recommend something just to let you know they can afford it or that 'their life is so much better than yours' sort of thing. Like yourself I do not recommend places as rule, and if at all and if asked, tend to give a non-commital 'well we enjoyed it' (or not) sort of thing.   

"Super new Bistro on the Hight Street dahlings, you simple must try it... a meal for two for under £100, how lovely is that"  

Ring any bells from the direction of that imaginary eight week holiday in Barbados?  Wink

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Minesapint 

So much for reviews!

Yep, and like a pair of balls you balance the two, and declare both of them.... well you know the word. Wink

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minesapint wrote:

I think my best so far was that I bought a bag of 8mm bolts from Screwfix as "stock" because I wanted a few, and a bag was as cheap.

I mean, what can you say about bolts?

"They are shiny and fit 8 mm nuts"

Just out of interest, did the bag contain the warning, "Does not contain nuts"?

Reviews for a local Chinese take away were glowing after a recent takeover.

Food was awful. A curry that had cheap fatty, tough, meat, and tasted of nothing.

Why would you buy Indian food (curry) in a Chinese take-away?