cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tricky problem

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Tricky problem

I have been trying to change a room thermostat but struggling a bit.
Took the old one off and found the fixing holes for the new one are in a different place, half way down each side rather than at the corners like the old one.
Unfortunately the electrician who put this one in made a very big hole in the plaster board so there is nothing for the new screws or rawlplug to fit into.
Tried to fill the gap with some plaster but when it came to drilling it (after 24 hours) it just crumbled.
Unfortunately the hole is too small for me to try a slip some small pieces of wood between each sheet of plasterboard unless I enlarge the hole, something I am reluctant to do as it will mean redecorating the whole wall and most likely the whole room if I can't get the paint to match.
The wiring is straight forward but I can't leave the thermostat hanging off the wall but it had to be connected up to get the heating on.
Any thoughts, apart from wishes of good luck !
11 REPLIES
Devonian
Grafter

Re: Tricky problem

How about using no more nails?
In the past I've used it to budge up 'hidden' holes.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Screw or stick a small board over the hole and then screw the thermostat on to that?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I was going to suggest the same thing.... Make a samall "plinth" from an offcut off MSF or Plywood.  about half an inch bigger than the new thermostat... give it a quick coat of undercoat, and quick drying white enamel,... drill a hole for any wires to pass through, then fix that to the wall ....then fix the new thermostat to it....
Community Veteran

I use a hot glue gun in similar circumstances!  Cool
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

agreed.    hot glue gun
nanotm
Pro

use an offcut of plaster board or wood, fit it to the back of the current hole (some widening might be required) and screw it onto the existing wall, backfill the whole with plaster wait 24hours then start attaching the new unit, failing that widen the hole and sink the surface box into the whole with a beaded finish of silicon sealant, personally I'd go with sinking the unit so it looks nicer and takes far less effort Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Epoxy repair putty. Sets like a rock once it goes off.
Fill the hole (make sure it's free of any loose plaster) with some repair putty, let it cure 20 mins or so. Sand smooth if necessary and drill some new plug holes.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_1...
Community Veteran

Thanks for the responses, the unibond repair putty might be the best way for me to go. Had thought of using that foam stuff sprayed from an aerosol which expands up to ten times it's size and sets rock hard but using the unibond would give me better control over where the stuff was going.
pwatson
Rising Star

Community Veteran

Excellent article...........guess I will leave that idea out then !! Smiley
Community Veteran

I do this on a regular basis in our house - everything is plasterboarded.
How much depth do you have behind the hole ? I normally use some 12-18mm thick plywood cut into two strips then fed through the hole so there is around 3" of it above the hole and 3" below the hole. You can bung a screw into the middle of this to hang on to. Drill a couple of holes at the top and bottom and then secure with plasterboard screws.
I then seal round the edges of the hole with a latex based sealer (i.e. Gardz or even Mapei primer) then place another piece of plasterboard in the gap of the hole which has also had its edges sealed. Make a couple of the bits of the replacement plasterboard slightly larger than the hole so you have to "wedge" it in slightly. Screw the plasterboard onto the strips of ply.
I then finish with a bit of multifinish or easyfill (depending on what I have to hand) then paint over - you can get a perfect patch repair like this.
If the thermostat is bigger than the hole, you could always do the above with the ply then screw the thermostat straight onto the ply and it should all just hold itself together  Grin