Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trek Prequels.. Yay or Nay??

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 63

Trek Prequels.. Yay or Nay??

So aside from being a Plusnet Customer Advocate (Social Media), I'm a HUGE Star Trek fan.

Anything Trek, I LOVE. So I'm struggling to understand all the bad feedback on Discovery and before that Enterprise.

My opinion is this: more Trek = more super sweet ship designs, more lore and more opportunities to 'Boldly Go'.

I love Discovery, Enterprise and the Abramsverse movies, so what's everyone's beef???

I mean, I get that it's not TOS, but much in the same way, IT'S NOT TOS!

Let's face it, whilst TOS is the cornerstone of all Trek and broke huge boundaries with it's casting, it's not something I could sit and binge in the same way as I can TNG or Voyager or Discovery.

I guess the point to this post is, why all the Trekkie hate for new and exciting stuff to happen in new and exciting ways?

I'm sure there are one or two Trekkies amongst the 60,000 of you, so let's get our discussion on!
18 REPLIES 18
Strat
Fixes: 505

Re: Trek Prequels.. Yay or Nay??

I was a bit wary of Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto as Kirk and Spock in the latest batch of Trek movies.

But I now love their interpretations of the characters.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Dad's Army for me! Don't forget we're mainly old and decrepit! Cheesy

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@nozzer The Navy Lark.... for me..Cheesy.. 

second choice.... Treasure Island, with Robert Poole, as my hero !

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I personally loved the interpretations of Pine & Quinto.

The Khan reimagining was brilliant too!

I'm not really into the older BritComs, find them a bit too... obvious? If that makes sense.
shutter
Community Veteran

@OskarPapa wrote:
 find them a bit too... obvious? If that makes sense.

But that, is what made them FUN, and ENTERTAINMENT, rather than the violence of todays efforts. Smiley

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I was disappointed with the last Trek movie. It had turned into just another Star Wars episode.

I regard Trek as scifi and Star War as fantasy. But now they are virtually both the same.

It can't be long being we get a Star Wars "singalong" version which is a shame as I liked the first couple as they kept within reasonably serious bounds.

@shutter wrote:

The Navy Lark...

I enjoyed watching a few old episodes of The Army Game and Bootsie and Snudge.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Bear with me, tagging people on my mobile is an effort so I'm not going to bother. (sorry forum Gods)

I totally get that shows such as Dad's Army are entertaining, they just don't do it for me I'm afraid. I wish I did like them to be honest, there'd be something to watch on those naff Sundays when they're the only shows on TV!

Certain parts of the latest Abramsverse Trek were just like taking a bite out of a giant cheese sandwich but I genuinely thought the premise was a good one. I particularly liked Kralls motivations, as I suspect not every officer would have been happy with Starfleet turning into the UFP.

The Enterprise destruction scene absolutely lived up to previous ones too.

The past 2 nights I've watched The Last Jedi and Rogue One respectively. Have to admit I found myself cringing loads during TLJ but actually still liked where the story seemed to be going. Rogue One, for me anyway, was a great bit of cinema.

I'm finding a lot of the 'rebooted' movies are pretty good - if you can watch them as seperate entities to the originals. Dredd, Fury Road and Total Recall in particular were great movies.
shutter
Community Veteran

Ah but...................... Are you watching a movie for it`s "story and entertainment"  or are you watching all the techy stuff that makes the movie interesting ? i.e. the special effects and technology that goes into producing those scenes.. ? 

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Generally I dislike prequels, for example, Star Wars 1, 2, 3 whereas my Son prefers them to the originals (heathen!!). However, I really enjoyed the Star Trek prequels. Seeing the story of Kirk and how he got to the academy, how he met the crew, it all fell into place for me.

The best for me though was Gerry Anderson's UFO, a great series. There was supposed to be a film of it some years back with Matthew Gratzner at the producer. Alas, it amounted to nothing Cry

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve never been a fan of TV Sci-Fi or this new genre of utter [-Censored-] like Game of Thrones, Hunger Games et al, nor have I ever found Dads Army funny.

I know it’s each to their own, but the odd thing here is I really like Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books!

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Star Trek TOS was my childhood. I came back to it on the re-runs in my twenties, and only then realised that Kirk jumped into bed with an alien every week!  I love all the series (although the newer ones have a tendency to paint themselves into a dramatic corner (the war with the Dominion in DS9 as an example)). I enjoyed most of the movies (on various levels) including the remade universe prequels.

Of course TOS looks incredibly dated now, but they were working with 60s technology, and still managed to invent bluetooth, tablets (interestingly called a PADD), body scanners, mobile phones (essentially) and a host more. They pretty much invented popular environmentalism (both in terms of story line, and the fact that they had recycling bins on every set). No smoking in the script, and female (black) bridge officers on a ship of the line. 

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Sir Terry Pratchett! Now you're talking. In my opinion, one of the most influential modern philosophers. I've read every Discworld book multiple times, and I still smile at the jokes, marvel at the similes, and find something new on every reading.

Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 1,021

I'll probably get some flak for this, but I'm not a massive fan of the old Star Trek pre-Abrams. I think it might be because I never grew up with them, or watched them while growing up, so to me they just seem dated. 

(People of the future will probably say the same about lord of the rings, which I consider a timeless classic).

Anyway, don't get me wrong I love Patrick Stewart, but in general I do much prefer Abrams' movies as they feel more epic, so I too don't get the hate. Gonna start watching Discovery soon. Cheesy

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 19

I thought Captain Kirk wasn't bad when singing Pulp's "Common People". Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."