cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treacle slow

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Treacle slow

I saw something in Computing where Openreach announced they were planning to have a widespread fibre optic network to the home by 2025 (real fibre not Frankenfibre).  I guess I'll only see this if they do Fibre To The Coffin.

This roll out plans is as free flowing as black treacle on a frosty morning. We're going to end up with a fragmented national telecommunication infrastructure as the like of Virgin Media and Vodafone bypass the dinosaur. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
4 REPLIES
Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Re: Treacle slow

Was it this from yesterday's daily update?

https://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/3020885/bt-unveils-plans-to-roll-out-fttp-connections-by-2025?u...

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Community Veteran

That's the one. Smiley

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

2025? What's taking so long? They've been claiming to be rolling out "Fibre" for years, or were they just false-advertising to make themselves sound good when they were just polishing a youknowhwat that is severely outmoded by the likes of 4G? Crazy2

nanotm
Pro

surely half of the problem is that there is more than one supplier and that the incumbent supplier is constantly being dragged through court rooms up and down the nation in order to block their attempts to upgrade the network due to the work required....

and yeah BT has been slow given that they rolled fibre out to a good chunk of the nation in time for the 2012 Olympics and has basically done sweet fa in the time since....

fttp was the plan they started with before deciding to go down the fttc route because it required fewer work permits and had less resistance to the works being undertaken what with not needing to actually dig up roads and gardens to ever connected customer, the stupidity of that rather than getting central government to just decree they could not be prevented from providing connections....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you