cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travels by train... and having to stand.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Travels by train... and having to stand.

.... as for being polite.

Sat on the underground next to my old Dad who was never one to mince his words, and he puffing away on a ciggie when a bowler-hatted passenger opposite leant forward and said, "I say, excuse me but the sign clearly reads no smoking, no smoking" - to which Dad replied, "thank you very much, you are a 'bleep bleep' mine of information".

He carried on smoking by the way.  

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

I hardly think a five hour journey or whatever it is between London and Edingburgh is a commuter line, but what do I know.  Now if it was East Croydon to London Bridge via Clapham Junction.... 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I was once travelling on a train up to London, but I was standing next to my empty reserved seat in an otherwise crowded carriage. The reserved ticket was above the seat. At the next station a smartly dressed executive person pushed past me to jump in that seat.  After he was sitting comfortably I leant over and said, "I think you'll find someone has been sick on the seat cushion..."

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

@Champnet 

I hardly think a five hour journey or whatever it is between London and Edingburgh is a commuter line, but what do I know.  Now if it was East Croydon to London Bridge via Clapham Junction.... 

I said I was a Commuter , not the train, as were several hundred people travelling daily from Peterborough and return on a LNER East Coast line. The East Croydon train probably started on the South Coast, I used to get on at Worthing so I should think seats were reservable....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I used to travel from East Croydon. 😁

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

So, from the return journey, you’d know where the trains originated.

For a few years I travelled from East Croydon. My memories, though distant now, were of running down the ramp only to see the train pull out, look at the board, up and down the ramp to another platform only to see the train pull out, and so on....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Don't recall them going to Worthing but Brighton sticks in my memory and thanks for the reminder about those ramps. Must have done that a few times myself especially when on the platform for Victoria instead of the one for London Bridge. Back up one and back down the other before it pulled out.

Sad to have seen the old station demolished as well but times and needs change. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It largely depends on your size or appearance, if someone is sitting in your reserved seat they will soon shift if you look like the type of person who only asks once.

😁

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

"I fink you are sat in my seat bruv, innit"

😛

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Occasionally  we travel from Salisbury to Bristol and back on trains that originate from Portsmouth and Cardiff. Nearly all the seats are ticketed, but a look tells you the reservation is a no-show, or extremely likely to be. From firms reserving accommodation on several trains just in case? We take our chance.

I believe reservation cards are to be taken over by electronic tagging. How long that will take is anybody's guess.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

The new Azuma trains running on the East Coast line now have illuminated sign system. From their website :

”If you're on one of our new Azuma trains then you'll see a traffic light system as you enter the carriage. Red is reserved, amber is reserved for some of the journey and green is available for you to sit back and enjoy your journey if you didn't have a seat reservation.”

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Champnet wrote:Kings Cross and all major stops to Edinburgh............

Yep, reserved seats all the way. Just booked a train ride for 4 (just inside the New Year) to London and the ticket tells me what my reserved seats are. To date I've never had any problems with people hogging the seats. But if that is the way life is going, maybe time for on the spot fines, something like £500 each should be a nice deterrent.  

As to cost of the journey, £135 for the 4 of us. Could I have done it cheaper by car? Possibly but what a carry on once in and around central London. Parking etc. And driving takes about 3 hours from here, train less than 2!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero

@idonno 

This any good for future use?

http://parkandridelondon.com/

No personal experience of it, just a thought.  😉

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

The thought of having to stand all the way on a long train journey does not bear thinking about, especially in these days of as I see it increased selfishness. Hope you have a good (return) journey with bums on seats both ways.

Mrs is due to travel up to Chester soon with her sister on the mid Wales line which will be a four hour journey so she tells me, so I might try and find out if they can reserve seats.

No spring chickens either of them so.... 🚂🚃🚃🚃

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 44

@Minivanman wrote:

Mrs is due to travel up to Chester soon with her sister on the mid Wales line which will be a four hour journey so she tells me, so I might try and find out if they can reserve seats.

No spring chickens either of them so.... 🚂🚃🚃🚃

Easy way of doing that check - 'book' online up to the point where you select seats - don't know where that is on the TfW site, but just go as far as possible without entering any payment details. I would assume on a journey as long as that there will be the option to reserve seats.

John