cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transporting gas cylinders (youtube link)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Transporting gas cylinders (youtube link)

Can be dangerous

14 REPLIES
PowerLee
Rising Star

Re: Transporting gas cylinders (youtube link)

There are really strict rules here in the UK for the transportation of gas cylinders, I used to delivery them in a previous job.
The one's in that video didn't look like they where strapped down in the back.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Travelling on the M25 near Watford several years ago, was stuck for nearly two hours because of a Transit van that was involved in an accident which was carrying a couple of gas cylinders in the back. It was a very hot day, so the story goes the cylinders were in a very volatile state.
The Police closed the M25 in both directions between junctions and turned our side round through a gap onto the reverse carriageway where we left the motorway (in the area of junctions 23 to 20 I was travelling from South Mimms to Kings Langley but I don't recall which actual junctions were closed but my route then took me through Bricket Wood) Since this was around 4:30 in the afternoon it was extremely busy, the side roads were jammed solid.
Didn't get home until nearly 8 O'clock.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: journeys
Can be dangerous

You can imagine the driver of that truck, down the pub,.... ( after coming back from ( the dead )  hospital....... telling his mates about his "interesting" day at work......

"Yeah... been quite busy today... bit of a rush job on.... so ....  there I was...... bombing down the motorway, ............. "  Cheesy
TORPC
Grafter

@ 5000 PSI oops MPH Roll eyes Cheesy
Community Veteran

Did you see the one that went flying off to the right at about 2:50?  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
TORPC
Grafter

I used to work in a scrapyard for work experience many moons ago (dont ask how many as I lost count Roll eyes Cheesy )
The owners son use to open the valves on the scrap oxygen bottles then sledge the brass couplings off them
This 1 day he did not open the vale on 1 of the oxy bottles & it literally shot approx 400 yards before it went into the side of a scrap MK4 Cortina out the other side & landed in the caravan park on the opposite side of the road
I am so glad I was not standing in it's path
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

As Scout Leaders we were forever telling the boys not to cook up butane gas tanks on the camp fire. Such a waste of money considering the deposit payment on those things. Nowadays there's far too much Elfin Safe Tea in youth organisations.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
TORPC
Grafter

I am now strangely getting on all youtube vids  

Edit:
It has now been rectified by a typical browser close / reopen sequence Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

A lot of insurance companies won't cover combustable gasses if you read the policy in detail yet that doesn't stop many folks from pulling up and buying calor gas at a petrol station Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

There goes the happy campers insurance then Roll eyes
Community Veteran

that was fun and exciting.  those russians know how to put on a show.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: 7up
A lot of insurance companies won't cover combustable gasses if you read the policy in detail yet that doesn't stop many folks from pulling up and buying calor gas at a petrol station Crazy

You mean I ought to walk all the way to the garden centre when I need a replacement cylinder for the BBQ?
Isn't there a 'lower limit' on the size that's considered 'dangerous'?  What about the small tins of lighter refill butane from the fag counter at Tesco?
I'd have thought 50 litres of petrol in a reasonably typical car would be pretty dangerous in the wrong circumstances.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Only the other day, was watching on Sky Documentaries "How its Made" the production of fibre-glass gas tanks albeit in the smaller sizes such as those for bar-b-cues etc.
Seems the sole reason was to make them lighter in weight...uhmm! not sure I'd fancy one of those in my garden. However they seemed to pass the stringent pressure testing Ok.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
You can imagine the driver of that truck, down the pub,....

Actually, I didn't see any indication of a driver escaping the truck, suspect his mouth would be too distant from his stomach for drinking beer or vodka.