Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport Caff`s

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Transport Caff`s

Twix
Coming home from mandatory shopping excursion, I noted a couple of "burger vans" in laybys ... ( A3 )... and it brought to mind the subject of the old "transport caff".... Not seen now in the south, but the vans were doing a good trade with three or four hgv`s parked near by....
I remember seeing one, that still seems to survive... it is on a road to the North of the M6 toll road...  I think it was the A460 Cannock Road,....  Wonder why this facility is not so prevalent these days on the old A roads.... after all, the trucks still use them... ( A34 Winchester to Oxford ) comes to mind.... Just doesn`t seem to be anywhere you can pull in a 45 ton truck for a cuppa and a wad... 
8 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: Transport Caff`s

Yep. Many's the time we used to ride our motorbikes from the villages around Warwick to Bob'e Cafe on the A45 near Rugby. Get there about midnight, drink a coffee and ride home
http://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/news/local-news/derelict-bob-s-cafe-site-on-a45-near-rugby-to-be-gi...
Devonian
Grafter

There are plenty of these around still.
Most evenings I pop in to see George parked outside Holsworthy Fire Station for a 5 minute chat and maybe a burger before my 2 hour drive home.
I must pass 7 or 8 during the day.
They are much preferred to the awful motorway services.
Community Veteran

I would be very wary of buying food from a van parked in a lay-by.
I know of one or two good old style transport cafes.
As for HGV drivers I think a lot of motorways have a special area specifically for them. Some of the motorway service areas on the M1 certainly have this facility for HGV drivers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Think "burger vans" in laybys, like gypsy travellers who technically should move on every 24 hours don't pay council tax or business rates. Because of their mobility they often get overlooked by the local council public health inspection team.
Whereas the "Transport caff" pays business rates on the property and parking area and must comply to  H&S wrt food, waste and toilet facilities.
Community Veteran

Yes, Artmo... I was specifically talking about A roads... not motorways.... there is no motorway between Southampton and Oxford.. ( unless you want to go to London(ish) on the M3 and then the M25, and then the M40.... ( the long way round a triangle.... )..    ( nor Southampton to Bristol )...
And down towards the west country ( from London area ) ( Southampton docks  etc )... there are no motorways.. so the HGV drivers, ( or any long distance driver ) .. does not have the facilities of " The transport caff of old.....)..
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Think "burger vans" in laybys, like gypsy travellers who technically should move on every 24 hours don't pay council tax or business rates. Because of their mobility they often get overlooked by the local council public health inspection team.

I have to agree.  These vans would not pass the council's hygiene checks.
If I'm going to try a new restaurant I will always check its hygiene rating and would think twice if it wasn't a 4 or 5 star.
Community Veteran

I have seen some burger vans with  4 rating by the health police... ( they are proud to show the certification on the inside of their van  )...
The burger vans that I see on the A3... are always in the same position, and always seem to be busy... I am sure that the local Health Police give them spot checks...
hmarshy
Grafter

The Super Sausage on the A5 at Potterspury between Milton Keynes and Towcester:
<a href="http://www.supersausagecafe.co.uk">Super Sausage</a>