cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trams

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Trams

I remember going to school on a tram, in Leicester, up to about the age of 10.  They had slatted wooden seats and a "curly" stairway to go upstairs... I remember the guy with the long pole to change the direction of the collector arm.....
Nostalgia....
You can watch a history of trams on BBC4 tonight at 7 pm... to 8 pm....  Smiley
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Trams

And at the terminus the driver walked down the tram upstairs and down reversing the seat backs so everyone faced the direction of travel.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
I remember going to school on a tram, in Leicester, up to about the age of 10.  

It all closed shortly after I was born, though I remember the tracks still being in several roads, especially near Abbey Park, in my youth.
Trolleybuses I do remember though; can't recall when they stopped running. (though I might be thinking of Nottingham there...)
Community Veteran

Yes, indeed... with Frears & Blacks Bakery on one corner Byfords socks on the other, ...that is where I caught the tram to school.... (Abbey Park Road)... Opposite Wolsey Knitwear factory, and Belgrave Road Station ( gateway to Skeggy ! ! )
Small world... !  Cheesy
There were a few Trolleys in Leics, but did not last long... Nottingham was much more "posh" and had many ! ! ! ! ...
Community Veteran

Frears & Blacks Bakery on one corner

Worst job I ever had was in there one school holiday (Easter) helping for a few days on the Hot Cross Bun production line.
Everything was SO sticky, gooey and just got filthy black. Truly horrible.  Crazy
Lived in Birstall so probably rode there on my bike - avoiding the tramlines!  Lips are sealed
Heloman
Grafter

I remember going to school on a tram,

So did I, but in London!
My school was by Blackfriars bridge on the Thames embankment. I took a tube train to Charing Cross and then a tram along the Embankment to school.
The last trams were replace by buses circa 1952, I think.
Nostalgia indeed! Those were the days....

People put old pennies on the line when the last tram ran in Sheffield as souvenirs.
We had an old washing machine with a handle on top which was very much like the speed control on a tram.
I used to go all over the place with that washing machine...in my imagination Cool
I used to wonder where the tram steering wheel was Embarrassed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Crich seems to have serverly restricted their pictures, but this is a photo list of the vehicle colection, and there is a Leicester tram No 76
Community Veteran

Been there..... !...
Milestones Museum in Basingstoke is also a place worth a visit for "nostalgia"..... I got a pint of bitter in their replica pub for 3d old money.... cos it had it written on the end of a barrel, and I just happened to have 3 old pennies in my pocket !!!! ... ( a couple of years ago )....

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/milestones/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What's this nostalgia all about? Trams are a modern day transport method. For heaen's sakes they even have them in the modern Pearl of the South metropolis called Croydon.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

....and Sheffield of course......but they are 'Super' Tongue
Community Veteran

I remember my Dad saying that when he was an apprentice one of the things they used to do was bet on was which tram was the strongest.
A pair of trams were brought nose to nose and the power engaged. After a very short while one of the trams jumpers would go bang and it would get pushed backwards.
All when no one was looking of course,