cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Train fares...

Fixes: 125

Train fares...

Can anyone offer an explanation as to how the fares are worked out?
I am planning to travel from Herne Bay to Victoria tomorrow and, obviously, want to travel as cheaply as possible.
No Flexibility (Cheapest)
MoreFlexibility
All fares

If you look at the screenshots it seems the cheapest fares displayed are not the cheapest and, in fact, it would be cheaper to buy two singles at £9.90 each (total £19.80) rather than £22.20 for a return as I don't need flexibility. Ok, so not a huge difference in price by why so complicated?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Train fares...

I have split fares and saved money try
http://www.splityourticket.co.uk
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

It seems that the £9.90 fares have to be booked online in advance, have limited availability, are non-refundable and are only available to use on the train specified when you book.
I looked just now and the £9.90 fare for tomorrow departing 12:17 is not available though it is for Friday.
I don't know how you got £9.90 displayed alongside train times without that fare being displayed as an option at the top of the screen. I don't get that. Which browser are you using?
Fixes: 47

Someone I know recently went to the train station to purchase a ticket at a price she had seen online.
When she asked for the ticket at the office she was told it was a pre-book online deal.
She went into the station Cafe, bought a coffee, took out her phone went online and booked and paid for the ticket.
She then finished her coffee and went back to the ticket office where she collected her cheap ticket. Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I've never understood it all to be honest, tried the trainline.com many times and it always has the same ticket prices as the train operators website.
Seems a bit stupid really..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If you click on that "Lowest Fare Finder" box bottom left I think it brings up a matrix of outbound / return train times with the cheapest fare for each combination ( at least it does for the equivalent Great Northern and First Great Western websites which I mostly use). I'm not 100% sure but I think it also recognizes when single tickets are cheaper than returns.