cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Train Fares

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Train Fares

Cost of train from Preston to London £147. Cost of Train from Lancaster to London £47.

Return journey is a similar price but here is the thing I cannot believe but it's true, If you get the train from London to Lancaster and get off at Preston you can be charged with fraud as you are commiting a crime.

Equally you cannot buy a ticket in Lancaster (approx 30 miles away) and get on in Preston.

This is virgin trains, not sure if it applies to others.

20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Train Fares

Try different times, cheapest Lancaster to London (Euston) I've found is £38.50 on Virgin Trains (using thetrainline.com), though the cheap tickets are "limited" and presumably you have to buy them at a certain time to get the cheaper fares... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

gleneagles wrote:

If you get the train from London to Lancaster and get off at Preston you can be charged with fraud as you are commiting a crime.

Where's that stated? It sounds too odd to be true! I very much doubt it would be enforced either as you're paying to travel further than you're travelling. Failing that you had to get off as you felt sick... and then the train left without you.

If anyone ever got busted for this the press would go wild over it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Just say you are feeling unwell and don't want to risk vomiting on their upholstery.

Fixes: 124

7up wrote:

gleneagles wrote:

If you get the train from London to Lancaster and get off at Preston you can be charged with fraud as you are commiting a crime.

Where's that stated? It sounds too odd to be true!

I found this article;

http://bit.ly/9g8q10

But it was from 2010. Couldn't find anything more recent But there's an intetesting discussion here from 2013.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

7up wrote:

gleneagles wrote:

Where's that stated? It sounds too odd to be true! I very much doubt it would be enforced either as you're paying to travel further than you're travelling. Failing that you had to get off as you felt sick... and then the train left without you.

If anyone ever got busted for this the press would go wild over it.

It was on the BBC news......yesterday.

Smiley

Community Veteran

Presumably this article on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-38571417

The pricing is pretty barmy, that's a given, even Durham to London (Kings Cross) has high priced with changes and low prices direct, pretty odd, but I guess they have to do that to make london seem important...

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Very difficult to get right and very expensive if you get it wrong that's for sure.

There are some good deals out there but you have to winkle them out. Fortunately I do not often travel by train if ever these days but when I did, I tried very hard not to get connecting trains as that was a recipe for disaster - and a long wait on some cold and windy platform!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Back when I lived in Lancashire, I used to use the local trains a lot (on a neutered branch line that should never have been lopped off the way it was) between Colne, Nelson, Burnley and Blackburn (very rarely further, like Blackpool South, Preston & Manchester), wasn't too bad price-wise, up here though there's adistinct odour of beeching, with the lack of railways despite being the pioneering home of the damned things, the nearest station is Chester-le-street, and that's an East Coast mainline station so not exactly "local", I miss the clapped out old Class 142s, horrible trains, but, very useful...

Community Veteran

Bit OT but railfares have never been logical, and one of the issues is crossing the boundaries of the old BR regions. I use to travel regularly between Manchester Airport and Scarborough and used to split my ticket at York and save about £30. See here. http://trainsplitting.co.uk

I see the discrepancies in the system as an opportunity to exploit not some nafarious plotThumbs Up

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

For those who have to travel by train, they will be pretty chuffed to know about this, then....

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/split-cheap-train-tickets/

Fixes: 47

I remember a while ago seeing a consumer program article where a long train journey, something along the lines of London to Edinburgh was done on the cheap by splitting it into 3 or 4 shorter journeys, all on the same train.

Is it any wonder that people chose to go by car or coach.

I mentioned a while ago about my daughter travelling to see a friend in another city.

She went to the station to buy her ticket and was told the price she had been quoted over the phone was an online price.

She sat on a bench, took out her phone and booked the same ticket online at the reduced price, then went back to the ticket office and collected it.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

Presumably this article on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-38571417

The pricing is pretty barmy, that's a given, even Durham to London (Kings Cross) has high priced with changes and low prices direct, pretty odd, but I guess they have to do that to make london seem important...

Thanks,

That was the article I was referring to.

My main point was not so much the cost of the fare but the fact that if you tried to get around it by booking to Lancaster and getting off in Preston you were committing an offence.

How can anyone legally stop you getting of any sort of transport once it has stopped in an official stoppling place ?

Fixes: 124

Nothing to stop you getting off I presume, but getting through the barriers at some stations may be another thing.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

My wife has just bought a single railticket £7.35 from Sheffield to Scarborough advance purchase with a Senior Railcard. She will be getting off two three stops before at Hunmanby for the saving. She does it regularly!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra