cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Train Drivers Strike

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Train Drivers Strike

There has been plenty of information on the news about Southern Rail and the proposed action by the union.

This strike is about who opens the carriage doors.

I know we have discussed this topic before but surely the answer is either make the Union pays for loss of business or sack the lot of them.

Unions should have a right to take action on serious matters but this is just a trivial matter.

6 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Train Drivers Strike

If losses are incurred then it is doubtful that even statutory immunities as laid down by legislation and underlying common law provisions would be of much help. There really are serious issues at stake here and rather than take action that will cause loss to their employer they should just withdraw completely and find employment elsewhere - but with average earning for conductors at around £30k a year......

I was a trade union activist for years and at a time when it meant something but now, this is just plain daft.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

sooner we get to all electric driverless trains the better.
then they can all go and strike wherever they want.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Just as a point of accuracy, this is not a 'train-drivers' strike, it is the conductors/ticket issuers/inspectors who appear to not wanting the drivers of SOME trains to have the responsibility of closing the doors. The fact that closing the doors is in the drivers remit on SOME Southern trains, and ALL Thameslink & Gatwick Express trains (all of which are ultimately operated by Govia) makes me think there is something else going off, which neither the Union or the Company are prepared to admit.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Back when I lived in Lancashire, the trains I used to get were typically 1980s stock (Class 142, some of the class 15x line, etc.) and the only way to unlock, open & close the doors was with the conductor's access panels, so for them, the decision was simple, conductor opens & closes the doors and conducts the passengers, and the driver drives the train, arguing over who should work the doors is just silly...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

jab1 wrote:

Just as a point of accuracy, this is not a 'train-drivers' strike, it is the conductors/ticket issuers/inspectors who appear to not wanting the drivers of SOME trains to have the responsibility of closing the doors. The fact that closing the doors is in the drivers remit on SOME Southern trains, and ALL Thameslink & Gatwick Express trains (all of which are ultimately operated by Govia) makes me think there is something else going off, which neither the Union or the Company are prepared to admit.

Fully accept the point you make regarding accuracy however I understand a large majority of union members including the drivers support the strike so I guess it's a strike by all members of the rail union on behalf of the groups you mention above.

I also understand their concern is about down grading / loss of some posts but very few workers in jobs these days have any guarantee of a job or reorganisation which might downgrade their particular job.

I am aware TUPE exists to protect the wages of those downgraded but their wage remains constant until new staff in that post catch up on the wage scale.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I don't think, from what I have read, that Southern are intending to downgrade / lose posts but to try and make better use of available staff. I know there are other issues in that company, but those are not being strongly cited in this dispute.

As you say, no-ones job is safe from reorganisation - mine certainly wasn't and I'm going back a long way saying that - the best thing I found in that situation was to discuss my concerns with line management and reach an acceptable compromise.

I follow this fairly closely, as I spend a good 3 months a year in and around Brighton, and use the local rail network extensively while I'm down there.

John