cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tragic shooting

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Tragic shooting

Awful, tragic innocent crossfire shooting of a 5 year old girl, let's all hope she recovers speedily.
But, would it be permissible to ask...what is a five year old doing out at nine o'clock in the late evening?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
19 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Tragic shooting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12903670
Police were called to reports of shots fired in Stockwell Food and Wine shop in Stockwell Road on Tuesday night.
The man, aged 35, and the girl are both in a stable condition in hospital.
Police said the victims are thought to have been caught in the firing line of a gang who were targeting two youths sheltering in the shop.
Officers from Operation Trident - which focuses on gun crime in the black community - are investigating.

no comment
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Awful, tragic innocent crossfire shooting of a 5 year old girl, let's all hope she recovers speedily.
But, would it be permissible to ask...what is a five year old doing out at nine o'clock in the late evening?

A very permissible question.  It makes you wonder what the parents were doing as well.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So, what is wrong with taking your child shopping, when you have to go out at night? or do you advocate parent(s) / guardian  leave their 5 year old at home, and go to the local shop?
We have taken our great granddaughter out, during the day and not got back home until late at night, and she is now only 4 years old... nowt wrong with that... she was in our care, the same as this one was, it was not the parents / guardian fault they got involved with  a shoot out..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You make reasonable points shutter; I've not seen any reports that the little girl was with anybody at the time of the shots being fired. There are though mentions that she was looked after soon afterwards by relatives, so presumably they were close nearby. Perhaps the other victim is a relative.
Presumably, this five year old should have been at some sort of school the next morning. So I still maintain my stance that she should be at home not in a shop attended or not at that time of a school day, there are currently no school holidays in force.
But then maybe I'm old fashioned that way.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

But then maybe I'm old fashioned that way.

So am I.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

From the BBC website
The shopkeeper, who lived above the store, was shot in the face. The victims were not related.

No mention of any parent/gardian around.
I'm with Petlew in that I can't think of any reason to go shopping with a 5 year old at that time of night.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

Why are same so judgemental before the facts are known?
The girl, who was visiting relatives, was hit in the chest. She cannot be named as not all her family have been informed of her injuries.

It could be a one off, an important milestone of one of the relatives for instance.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've not seen any reports that the little girl was with anybody at the time of the shots being fired.

""Thursha, the five-year-old victim, was visiting the shop owners who are her auntie and uncle. With Thursha and her mother were her siblings, a three-year-old girl and a 12-year-old boy.""
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-Five-Year-Old-Stockwell-Shooting-Victim-Thusha-Kamale...
Fixes: 125

Conflicting reports between BBC and Sky as the BBC says the 5 year old was not related to the shopkeeper who was shot.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

garlic
Dabbler

Is there anyone on this forum under the age of ninety? All clucking away and quick to condemn without proper information.
jim:red Avoidance of swear filter and personal attack on other posters removed. Note these forum rules http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_attack and http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_censor mod:end
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Garlic,
Not sure where you are coming from bro but u should be aware that it's younger people who are at most risk of violence and shootings etc.
I Guess it dosen't bother you if you are one of the victims but have some thought for this 5 year old girl.
garlic
Dabbler

Well there you go gleneagles. That's exactly what I'm talking about!
You immediately make the assumption (God knows why) that I don't care about the fate of the poor girl, because I attacked some of the previous posters. Not good enough matey!!!
How can you possibly say such an offensive thing without knowing anything about me?
I rest my case M'Lud.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

you only have to read the way you have put your first post and the attitude it gives which provides insight into the way you think.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Please stop this otherwise I will just lock the thread which would be a pity given the tragic events it was discussing