cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Shaping

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Traffic Shaping

Does anyone know of a decent Broadband Provider that has a less restricted 'Unlimited' Service thats better than Plusnet.
The reason i ask is that i now have loads of wireless enabled broadband gadgets in my house i feel i mught HAVE TO change. With the wifes new iphone being the newest (which plays iplayer) its getting bonkers!
(Wii, PSP, PS3, Netbook, PC, PDA, Iphone)
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Traffic Shaping

Any LLU providers on your exchange?
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Unfortunately not  Angry
Are plusnet still doing the 12 month contract for existing customers....?
Perhaps a member of Plusnet staff could PM me with a note of how long i have left to run on my current contract?
Community Veteran

@mrmarkus
what exactly is wrong that is wanting you to leave PN?
I checked through some of your latest posts on this forum, so you seem to have quite a few wireless devices on your network.
[1] did these same problems happen with your previous ISP?
[2] have you tried turning WEP/WPA off and running unsecured?
[3] if you configure your router so the PS3 is in DMZ mode do the problems stop?
[4] if only your PS3 is connected do the problems stop.
[5] is it a specific device that when used, like the iphone, that stops all the others devices working, like the PS3?
[6] do the problems start after a particular time in the evening? e.g. 6pm
finally, if you really think is is the Ellanoya Traffic Shaping that is the problem, arrange for PN to monitor your connection when the problems are happening. They generally do not offer this option, but it is there and you will probably be asked to do this during office hours.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

If you can afford all those gadgets, get a second line Wink Get mobile as well Grin
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
@mrmarkus
what exactly is wrong that is wanting you to leave PN?
I checked through some of your latest posts on this forum, so you seem to have quite a few wireless devices on your network.
[1] did these same problems happen with your previous ISP?
[2] have you tried turning WEP/WPA off and running unsecured?
[3] if you configure your router so the PS3 is in DMZ mode do the problems stop?
[4] if only your PS3 is connected do the problems stop.
[5] is it a specific device that when used, like the iphone, that stops all the others devices working, like the PS3?
[6] do the problems start after a particular time in the evening? e.g. 6pm
finally, if you really think is is the Ellanoya Traffic Shaping that is the problem, arrange for PN to monitor your connection when the problems are happening. They generally do not offer this option, but it is there and you will probably be asked to do this during office hours.
SW.

Its not that i am desperate to move ISP's, its just i have heard loads of people mumping & moaning about iplayer, XBL, PSN all being throttle at peak times. All i was asking is that if there were another ISP that throttle LESS at peak times, then they would maybe be better for me.
[1] NO
[2] NO
[3] Doesnt work for me (Fifa09)
[4] PS3 is now wired and have no wireless issues (Fifa 09 still doesnt connect to most people)
[5] Nothinig STOPS working, but due to throttling icant watch iplayer for example if the Mrs is browsing or playing CoD - its jumpy
[6] from 5pm onwards
Anyhoo, im siging up for Unlimited. At least i wont have to worry about my d/l limit anymore!
Community Veteran

Who was your previous ISP before moving to PN? Where you on an LLU connection?
Assuming you configured the DMZ mode correctly, then it does sound like it is a traffic shaping issue.
You need to think about getting wireshark logs or get PN to monitor your line while you play on the PS3 and use iPlayer.
What are your router stats? You are getting 2Mb or so arent you? iPlayer mostly defaults to 1.5Mb mode now it was 800kb mode previously.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

I have been on the unlimited only a week but for me the speed has increased and no problems downloading