cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Lights...

Fixes: 123

Traffic Lights...

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed many (most of them in some areas in Ukraine) now have a countdown lamp above the red. If the light is currently shoiwng then the countown is in red and green when the light is green. The countdown seems to be anything bewteen 61 and 30 seconds. There is a similar one for pedestrians.
Never seen this before. Does any other country have a similar scheme?
Not convinced yet of the benefits, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES
JamesM
Grafter

Re: Traffic Lights...

Is it similar to this Mav ?

Youtube clip

Looks confusing.
Fixes: 123

No. It's a fourth light above the red. On two the red (traffic not countdown) changes to orange and to green when zero except it doesn't go to zero as the colour of the countdown light changes and the new countdown starts.
On the train from Simferopol to Dnipropetrovsk now so will take a photo tomorrow and post if I can.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

There are a number of pedestrian crossings in London with countdown timers. I haven't seen any with countdown for motorists.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10363440
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/15490.aspx
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Not convinced yet of the benefits, though.

On your marks, get set, go.
Fixes: 47

That's what the pedestrians see.
This is what the traffic sees
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Countdown timers on lights is a good idea as it shows how long you have to wait before being able to cross.
Another idea (seen in New Zealand) is traffic lights all going to to red at the same time thus allowing people to cross from one side to the other as well as from one corner to the other !
Community Veteran

I was doing some work in Armenia, earlier in the year and noticed it there. Apparently it's very common in eastern Europe and many other places. I was told that they're considering doing it in this country as well.
Community Veteran

In the US pedestrians see a countdown timer to let them know if it's safe to start to cross the road before the stop lights turn green.  Works well IMO.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Another idea (seen in New Zealand) is traffic lights all going to to red at the same time thus allowing people to cross from one side to the other as well as from one corner to the other !
Oxford Circus is like that now.  Wink