cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Lights at Night

Community Veteran

Traffic Lights at Night

There are plans to turn traffic lights off at night in Portsmouth and have them all set to amber.  Many countries already do this.
Traffic Lights
More on the Story

18 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Traffic Lights at Night

I have had no trouble on the continent in the countries that use then,
itsme
Grafter

I've driven the the USA and France where the traffic lights are part time even during the day. One in France nearly caught me out this year as in all the years that I have drove through this T junction the lights have always been on amber and I had the right of way. Not this year they were working and as they were the small lights half way up  a lamp post I nearly missed them and they were at red.  Shocked
Community Veteran

I like what they do in the US.  As you approach a junction the light in one direction will flash red and in the other direction amber.  The amber light has the right of way.
itsme
Grafter

Don't realise that. I have only seen them flash amber but it was at a crossroads and I was normally the only car approaching the junction.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Like the AA I doubt it whether it would work safely in Britain.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
There are plans to turn traffic lights off at night in Portsmouth and have them all set to amber.

"175
You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision."
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070332
Flashing amber is not green. I hope the Highway Code will be amended!
Why not just turn the lights off and attach a sign saying part time lights? Such things already exist. That would also save on electricity.
http://www.lep.co.uk/community/a_light_that_is_yet_to_shine_1_2903729
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Don't realise that. I have only seen them flash amber but it was at a crossroads and I was normally the only car approaching the junction.

If the roads are both of the same importance then generally all the lights will be amber.  If one road is obviously the major one then the flashing lights will be red and amber.  I have seen this work at many junctions at night in the US and it works well.
itsme
Grafter

The junction I was referring to was in Vermont near a ski resort and the lights only worked a couple of hours early morning and a couple of hours in the afternoon the rest of the time just flashing amber.
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
Why not just turn the lights off and attach a sign saying part time lights? Such things already exist. That would also save on electricity.
http://www.lep.co.uk/community/a_light_that_is_yet_to_shine_1_2903729
Indeed I wondered the same, part time lights are known and understood by the UK driver, and don't require new legislation or highway code.  So why not go that route?
itsme
Grafter

Part time lights are only on roundabouts and road markings and the Highway code cover roundabouts. Part time lights on junctions will not by covered by existing Highway rules as there are no give way/stop road markings.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think Portsmouth was the first to introduce the 20mph in residential roads (all over Portsmouth island - except the Main through roads.)  so looks like this is another first for us....
however, I am inclined to agree with the quote from the AA

The idea that drunks and young drivers are going to get to the flashing lights after midnight and say “after you” is nonsense,’ he added.

particularly as Portsmouth has a maze of streets at 20 mph entering on to the main through routes... and especially if they are "hyped up" on a "cruise"...
think I`ll stay at home at night..... Cheesy
Erm.... I already do ! ! !  Roll eyes

geoffp0
Grafter

Am I thick or what? if the lights are permantly on amber what the h..l is the difference of them doing there proper sequence, as an ex electrician to me the light is still on so you are consuming energy so what is the difference if its red, amber, or green, like I say I may be thick (Don't all agree at once)

Geoff
itsme
Grafter

It's not to save power but stop frustration waiting at red lights when there is no other traffic on the roads. As I night worker I know this from experience.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Think you'll find that they will be flashing amber. Which as usual in all parts of the country means you can proceed if the road is clear.
Having been caught out by it: amber alone (which is followed by red) means STOP not as is popularly thought you have 3 or 4 seconds to get over the junction.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.