cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toys for the Boys

Fixes: 47

Toys for the Boys

I am a committed gadget freak. I say this with confidence as I have just purchased an Owl Wireless Energy Monitor from Argos.
This device has nothing to do with WiFi or Bluetooth in the IT sense but is a display and sensor connected wireless.
The sensor fits on the positive cable between the meter and the consumer unit.
The display shows power consumption in Kw, cost or greenhouse gas emission.
When I saw it advertised I said to myself...'I have to have one'
It's currently telling me my PC set-up is using 510 watts.
Edit: 'in the IT sense' added in deference to Pierre's chastisement  Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
19 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Toys for the Boys

what do you mean "nothing to do with WiFi or Bluetooth", how do you think the signal gets from the sensor to the display, or have you also got a tame magician?
Its great for seeing how  much you waste  on standbye, and how much ere in doors uses,  dishwasher,washing
machine and tumble dryer uses.
also you get a daily, weekly and monthly total, I think its the same as mine, it doesnt keep the weekly or daily toatals, so if you want them you have to copy them.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Committed gadget freak. It has to follow form over function though, and yet still be very nice to look at...
EDIT: Whoops. I meant form follows function, but it still has to be very nice to look at. Sorry...

Quote from: pierre_pierre
what do you mean "nothing to do with WiFi or Bluetooth", how do you think the signal gets from the sensor to the display, or have you also got a tame magician?

Edited my original post Sad
Quote from: pierre_pierre
you get a daily, weekly and monthly total, I think its the same as mine, it doesnt keep the weekly or daily toatals, so if you want them you have to copy them.

Mine doesn't either but it's still quite an eye opener.
Quote from: orbrey
It has to follow form over function though, and yet still be very nice to look at...

I suppose the Owl does not fully follow this convention as it does have function over form but only just Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

from the publicity "blurb" on the link by strat
Saves money by reducing energy bills through simple and efficient energy saving practices

Will you really save £50 by buying this unit  for £49.99 ? Huh Huh Huh    I hope so ................ Roll eyes
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I suppose the Owl does not fully follow this convention as it does have function over form but only just

Post edited... I am in agreement with you sir. Function is more important than form, but form still has to be good.

Quote from: shutter
Will you really save £50 by buying this unit  for £49.99 ? Huh Huh Huh    I hope so ................ Roll eyes

I'm an Earthling not a Ferengi.
Your statement would violate the 1st law of Gadgetry which states that:
'A Gadget must NOT provide monetary return equal to or in excess of it's original Purchase Price'

PS The way electricity prices are going at the moment this gadget is in serious danger of breaking that law all on its own Sad
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

For those of you who don't wish to invest so much. Maplins (for example) sells a plug in power meter. No good use for monitoring overall household usage but plug it into a mains socket then plug your device into it. You can then see how many kWh your fridge, PC or whatever uses over a period. The Maplins one is currently £27.99 but don't pay that much. It seems to on sale for "half-price" most of the time.

In my OP I used the word wirelessly which Firefox took offence to. I therefore changed it to wireless.
I have just looked up wirelessly in the on-line Oxford Dictionary and the only occurrence was in their Terms and Conditions.
How can they use it in their Terms and Conditions if they don't have a definition for it Huh Huh
Community Veteran

'Wirelessly' is correct - 'wireless' is an adjective, whereas 'wirelessly' is an adverb, and an adverb is what you needed in your original post. The OED does also define 'wirelessly', but it does so within the 'wireless' entry, as it is just a derivative:
Hence wireless v. intr. to send a message by wireless; trans. to send (a message) or inform (a person) by wireless; wirelessly adv., by wireless.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

or as the New Shorter Oxford says
With ref. to sound transmission now increasingly old-fashioned, being replaced by radio exc. in Hist. contexts.wirelessly adv. without wires; by wireless: L19

Why would I ever need dictionaries when I have.......The Forum Cool Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that wasnt an Internet definition, It was a copy of the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary that came with a Magazine, just one of my gadgets

...but it was delivered to me via the Internet, complements of The Forum. Smiley
For that I am grateful Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Your statement would violate the 1st law of Gadgetry which states that:
'A Gadget must NOT provide monetary return equal to or in excess of it's original Purchase Price'

Wonder if this would qualify,  not strictly a "gadget" but probably covered by the rest of the above statement
I saw this in a front garden in Suffolk whilst living that way.....  It`s on my website, with another one.....