cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toyota Prius

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Toyota Prius

First, I have no wish to start yet another green energy debate, these get plenty of airing on these forums. And any way there's already an electric car thread in progress.

But, I'd be interested to know if any members have any real (as opposed to uninformed or bigoted hearsay) experience of driving and living with a Toyota Prius? Especially the second generation 2003 to 2009.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Toyota Prius

My brother in Australia won one of those in a newspaper competition...  ( the only comp he ever entered.... lucky blighter )..

Missus was watching Bullseye, late last night... one of the prizes was an electronic Teasmade ... !  WOW  . another was a "state of the art video recorder"...

( sorry, a bit off topic, but I thought I better wait a bit until someone replied.. )

Community Veteran

I have a cap with Toyota on it.

I don't suppose that counts.

Community Veteran

Actually, I've had a couple of PM's from members who've actually driven a Prius. Both with mostly positive views.

Very interesting. Thanks guy's.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Not driven a Prius but have the Auris with the same hybrid power train.

Slightly different to drive compared to a conventional car, make you a slightly more relaxed kind of driver after a while.

Toyota offer a hybrid health check service that offers a years extended warranty on the hybrid components after the cars original 5 year manufacturer warranty has expired. You can request this service every year up to the cars 10th birthday.

Community Veteran

Thank you PowerLee, useful information.

In fact I have driven  - albeit very briefly - a Prius when my current Avensis was in the nearest Toyota dealer for a full service and they had promised me their only auto courtesy car, but in the event had double booked it, and I was second in the queue and it was given to someone else. I pointed out I have a manual licence, but also a very arthritic left knee, if they valued their clutch it would not be a good idea to give me a manual.

Taking my advice the branch managers fully loaded Prius was found for my use. To be honest, the four miles each way wasn't really long enough to get used to it, the home bound trip was strange initially, but the return to dealer was much better, I found the ride rather choppy probably due to the fitted extra large wheels and low profile tyres. 

Community Veteran

I looked at probably the worst example of a Prius at a used dealer yesterday. Just walking round it I could see near £1000's worth of after sales repairs needed; all four disks worn, pitted and grooved, no discernible pads that I could see (at least £500 and probably more). All four (mixed) tyres were well below legal with signs of tracking problems Probably not less than £350 and could be more) one tyre was completely flat so the car couldn't be moved at that time. I thought about offering the use of my battery operated inflater, but by then I'd lost interest in the car. But probably most importantly there was only one "smart" key, and a little research showed Toyota want close to £200 to replace one. All four sensor tyre pressure caps (standard fit) were missing, the salesman couldn't account for this.

Oddly, the inside was well presented (most likely to have had a valet, it was almost too clean compared with the outside problems) The car started well cutting in the electric motor as expected. The bodywork was very good with no obvious panel gap problems or obvious signs of crash damage and sighted as it should do. The front lights clear covers were rather misty though as if they had been lightly sand-papered.

During talking to the salesman he reduced the asking price in steps each time I found an issue by £200 each time, by the time I walked away he had taken £600 off the advertised price and was calling after me offering another £200 off.

The salesman though was not prepared to get the car roadworthy (which it wasn't and most likely an MoT failure) for sale. 

But the most important thing for me, when looking into the very crowded hatch area, I realised that I wouldn't be able to get my wife's folded wheelchair into it, the hybrid batteries take up a lot of space there. So sadly it seems that although I quite like the idea of a Prius I'm going to be beaten.

What does worry me though, is that this dealer may well have been able to sell this almost "death-trap" to someone a bit less able to spot a wrong'n who had looked inside and thought it looked Ok.

I suspect it was an ex-taxi (these are much loved by the taxi trade) although the mileage was not that high. Apparently I'm told by a local cabbie, is because not only are they "cheap" to run/tax, but the hybrid batteries improve with age, something I've never heard before.

Community Veteran

I assume that if you buy a Prius or something similar you are tied to main dealers to support it? Living in a village I get my cars from a local independent garage man and find that an economic solution for overall purchase and running costs. But I stand to be corrected!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@petlew - Not only should you avoid the car but the dealer as well if this is the 'quality' of car they are putting on sale, to me that screams "Avoid like the plague".

Community Veteran

@PeterLoftus  Well no actually. It was one of the first things I did when first considering a Prius, was to talk to my usual excellent local garage (I've been using them for 16 years) to ask if they had a problem with dealing with a Prius. My answer was that they had two on their books anyway, apart from the electronics they are quite conventional. Albeit, for certain jobs to do with the drive-train and electronics they would refer me to the main dealer, which I thought was quite fair.

PowerLee
Rising Star

How about the Auris estate? These do come in hybrid power as well.

Company i work for issues these to the service managers, i don't hear any complaints & there bulletproof for reliability.
Community Veteran

Indeed they are PowerLee, Its why middle eastern terrorists/rag-tag armies use them to mount anti-aircraft guns and other assorted weaponry on, they just keep going. And there's the famous Toyota pick-up that Top Gear couldn't kill. 

But I digress, I left a deposit on a third Toyota Avensis this afternoon. Had to reluctantly give up the Prius plan because of the wheelchair accommodation problem.

Community Veteran

@PowerLee PS. I realise you've twice mentioned the Auris. This has a problem at the other end of the car. A disabled hoist arrangement is fitted on the passenger side, the door opening is just a shade too small (its shorter back to front than the Avensis and a slightly lower roof height) for comfortable use. I never actually got around to checking this for the Prius but may well have proved to be another reason not to buy one. It happens the Prius (a disgustingly ugly looking car) is available as an estate, but they're as rare as hen's teeth.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Swmbo took a test drive in a Nissan Leaf this weekend (borrowed the car for a weekend from a dealer), It's not a Hybrid but 100% electrical, battery bank under the floor.

Apart from the range (120miles from a full battery) I was quite impressed, plugs into the mains at home 6 hours to recharge at 18p per 3 x kwh (night rate) gives 120 mile range for just over £1.

SatNav gave range and suggested possible electrical top up power points.

Was suitably impressed with space, back seat folded flat, I'd guess there would be sufficient space for a wheelchair.

Easy to handle, quite to run, can be controlled from smart phone (can heat the car and demist-defrost the windscreens from kitchen table whilst car is still on charge so it will not effect mileage)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not sure if this is of any use but Parkers Guide, which you can buy at most large newsagents lists all cars giving the various range of prices for each year, including what a dealer or private seller would pay.

Of more importance is the star rating and comments on common problems with the car which are based on repairs carried out by garages on a specific model.

Clearly you are well clued up on cars but a glance at the appropriate page whilst out shopping could be useful.