cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Town centres

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Town centres

Most town centres are almost deserted due to Covid-19 but long term what are town centres going to look like, several large retailers have either gone or on the verge of going into receivership and many other venues will close as less people work in towns or have little reason to go there as many things have moved on line, including the weekly shopping for some people.

Perhaps many of these empty buildings will be demolished and housing built in its place but there again who would want to live in a town with few shops but lots of housing....

Any thoughts.?

4 REPLIES 4
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Town centres

@gleneagles 

Trying to remain optimistic as I suppose we must, how nice it would be to see post Brexit a return to home grown produce sold in home grown shops on those high streets. 

So much is imported having been produced on a simply massive scale such as tomatoes and apples that undercut and then wiped out UK producers. More made in the UK, more sold in the UK, more jobs in the UK?

Sounds like win win t'me. 

Sure it might cost more to shop local but it has to all for the good and having just returned from the same, at least the carrots were twice as fresh even though they were twice the price.

Muddy carrots and eggs with bits of chicken poo on them. What's not to like.   

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

@Minivanman  Er....... Chicken poo.... definitely don`t like that....  ( where is the puking smiley when you want one  ? ? ? )

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I gave up on town centres and retail parks years ago. They're all the same. Same chains, same sorts of shops, very few unique / novel shops anywhere these days - certainly nothing that would make me think i'd want to go back there again. That's just our own local TC - the neighbouring ones are just as dull and dreary too.

Don't get me started on the coffee shops and hair dressers / barbers.

Only place that was worth visiting IMO was Maplin but they've gone down the tube due to private equity sucking the life out of it. There's only Halfords left now and thats pretty dull once you've been round it once in a year.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@7up 

Very true and hard to sometimes to know what country you are in let alone what town. 

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today