cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towering inferno in West London

Fixes: 125

Towering inferno in West London

A huge fire broke out in the early hours in Grenfell Tower in West London.

200 fire fighters and 40 fire engines in attendance and reports of just two two people being treated for smoke inhalation.

Other reports suggest there may be some residents still trapped in the building.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

292 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Towering inferno in West London

Crikey that looks awful, and with such an inferno dare we say the word terrorism?

Gods I hope not. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

Sat watching it last night on the TV. The speed it went through the building is unreal. Also, there should probably be a law that apartment blocks can't be built higher than a fire ladder can extend, or that if they aren't already, they should be fitted with sprinkler systems. Shirley towers didn't have any. Nor did Redbridge towers. I live in a two floor apartment block on the ground floor so can just hop out a window. Upstairs can either jump out their windows, or get out onto a gangway that runs around the back of the building and jump from there. Any more than three floors up and you're weighing up the options of burning to death or bouncing off the road to death.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I thought these high rise blocks were supposed to have a sprinkler system installed ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

So distressing to watch the news this morning. Thoughts with all involved.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Just seen this on the BBC site and looks might scary, I just hope everyone has gotten out with their lives. I've liked the idea of living on the top floor of a block of flats, one that commanded a decent view of the city, but seeing this gives you a reality check as to how much your own life can depend on your neighbours.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And to think, the so-called "slums" they cleared out and replaced with these abominations would never have burned as rapidly as this...

bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

@rongtw many don't. Like the two blocks I mentioned, neither had them. Shirley Towers, two firefighters died during that blaze. The coroners report after the inquest of their deaths said that old tower blocks should be retrofitted with systems. But I read somewhere it would cost like a million quid to do a single block. And with the government cutting funding to just about everything.... good luck for the relevant agencies getting the money.

Edit: Found the article.

However the council said sprinklers were being fitted at Shirley Towers, Albion Towers and Sturminster House, which were thought to be at greater risk because of the split level design of the flats, as part of a £1m programme of work.

Seems it took them 4 years, from the inquest verdict in 2013, to 2017 to start retro-fitting them to a few towers.

Minivanman
Hero

Well to be fair @twocvbloke tower blocks do not usually go up like this, and I cannot recall another incident like it - and those slums as you call them as well as tenement blocks were well known fire hazards what with coal fires and all.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

one survivor said the fire alarm , did not go off Sad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

Well to be fair @twocvbloke tower blocks do not usually go up like this, and I cannot recall another incident like it and those slums as you call them as well as tenement blocks were well known fire hazards what with coal fires and all.

The difference between the so-called "slums" (the words given to them by the "We want to knock them down, displace all these people and build brutalist looking towers ontop of" developers) is the terraced housing that was there would have burned maybe one, two or three houses, easily rebuilt, replaced or repaired, but with these tower blocks, one fire, poor access for fire services, and poor fire safety systems, it's resulted in a lot of people being trapped and most likely burned to death. I'd take a terraced house (which I already have, as wonky as it is) over a tower of death myself...

bjallenby
Aspiring Pro

@twocvbloke the problem with terraces is attic / loft spaces. You might have a house go up at one end and the fire travel several houses across the attic space. Often the walls in the attic of older properties have damaged, or absolutely no firewall installed.

Apparently KCTMO have a history of fires in their buildings.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/
Minivanman
Hero

@twocvbloke

Well having lived in a south London eighth floor flat with a urine stinking lift for a couple years, I agree totally. Thankfully the tower block in question is long gone.

Minivanman
Hero

@bjallenby

Some had no walls, ours never did. Built c1900. Sad

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Horrendous Sad  Sad  very surprised that anyone escaped

http://news.sky.com/video/aerial-footage-shows-scale-of-massive-blaze-10915042