Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towering inferno in West London

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Re: Towering inferno in West London

Neither am I of course.

But I would have thought they could have done tests of a small replica building with the cladding, and tried to set fire to it in a controlled environment? If goes up then there is something wrong.

Maybe I am just being stupid, but that's what I assume they'd do?

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

It was reported this morning that the blocks of flats being provided stand alongside a private development where homes go for up to £8.5 mill.  If you live there for 15 years they will probably be worth at least £17 mill., but with the 70% discount under Right to Buy they could be yours for a mere £5.1mill.  No problem getting that kind of mortgage is there?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

seems to getting more confusing http://news.sky.com/story/grenfell-tower-blaze-started-in-fridge-freezer-10924716

The Grenfell Tower blaze started in a Hotpoint fridge freezer and the building's insulation and cladding have failed safety tests.

The insulation was found to be more flammable than the cladding tiles, police say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40380584

The Grenfell Tower fire in London started in a faulty fridge freezer, and outside cladding failed safety tests, police say.

Insulation on the building also failed tests and the Metropolitan Police will consider manslaughter charges.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"The Grenfell Tower blaze started in a Hotpoint fridge freezer and the building's insulation and cladding have failed safety tests.

The insulation was found to be more flammable than the cladding tiles, police say."

http://news.sky.com/story/grenfell-tower-blaze-started-in-fridge-freezer-10924716

Presumably that's the insulation that gives off cyanide gas when burned. It was bad enough having to check and potentially replace the cladding tiles on hundreds of sites. Now it seems that the insulation also needs checking and potential replacement.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

One London council is going to sue the contractors. They specified but didn't get a non-inflammable material.

The only problem I see in that the contractor will close down and everybody will be left high and dry.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I guess the installation company will have public liability insurance covering such works. The local authority will have checked before works commenced, I'm sure. Undecided

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yes but if they have deliberately 'switched' the materials I wonder if their PL insurance would be voided.

Also if you look at the costs so far that are building up, would their PL insurance be sufficient Undecided

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I can hear the heads starting to roll already. Manslaughter charges perhaps?

PS. Blimey, suggested that and now reading this

Those who dance are considered mad by those who cannot hear the music
Highlighted
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I wonder how many MP,s had their fingers burnt ,, a lot have property portfoilio,s  and the costs of the buildings that need cladding checked and changed , a lot of money is going to be lost

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

A lot of money to be made as well I should imagine with contractors lining up for renovation work. It's going to big with a lot of guilty cash being splashed around. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Just been watching Sky News - they suggest it was started by a faulty Hotpoint Fridge Freezer. The model hadn't been recalled, but I suspect it might be now.

Scary to think it's one of those things you leave on all the time, and it happened in that way.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Lets hope that if there is a recall Whirlpool (owner of Hotpoint brand) performs better than it has with tumble drier recalls.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Alex

Scary indeed when to quote from a BBC report I've just been reading, "Fires connected to fridge freezers and other electrical appliances are relatively common"

Crazy2

Highlighted
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

On Hotpoint web page , it lists the Freezer involved and give a Phone number to call Thumbs_Up

I had to check as i have a hotpoint freezer but a not the one involved

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Highlighted
Community Veteran

This is what BBC News says, so I guess check your serial number:

Anyone who has a white Hotpoint fridge freezer model number FF175BP or graphite fridge freezer model number FF175BG should register their appliance with the manufacturer to receive any updates.

Generally, the model number is found on a bar code on a sticker behind the salad container in the fridge.

These models were discontinued in 2009, but 64,000 were sold between March 2006 and July 2009. It is not known how many are still in use.