Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towering Inferno

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Towering Inferno

A fire has swept through the Torch skyscraper in Dubai, one of the tallest residential buildings in the world.
No casualties reported
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31562099
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/20/middleeast/dubai-tower-fire/index.html

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Towering Inferno

Television news, is amazing.... I watched it on there before getting this notification on the slow internet....
once upon a time... town criers delivered the news... then later newspapers ... then later radio... then later television.. and later still the internet... maybe we are going back in time now, when tv news is quicker than the internet.  Cheesy
Amazingly, many people kept their old radios and televisions...and still use them......... just in case....
Infinity
Pro

A group of us were winding down, having a few drinks after a BBQ in the Hotel grounds, with CNN on in the bar...
As the News appeared on the TV, a few gasps, our American friends  kept saying "Is it another 911 ?"
After watching the incoming live video, it became apparent it was not another 911, and everyone relaxed, though mesmerised by the live TV video.
One friend said she knew the Tower, and was not surprised at the fire.
Community Veteran

@ PC    I wonder what she knew of the contraption? I find it amazing that they got all the folks out in the event.
Community Veteran

Not a very fireproof building as people reported burning panels falling off the sides.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: colintivy
@ PC     I wonder what she knew of the contraption? I find it amazing that they got all the folks out in the event.

Not sure what you mean by contraption ?
She did say it was quite an old, not very well constructed building, and fire alarms were always going off, with false alarms.
As I understand it, some people were also ignoring the alarms this time, until staff (Fire Marshals ?) went from door to door banging on the doors, and telling people to evacuate.

We do like tall buildings ( Hotels etc)  when we travel, for some sort of a view, but try to stay below the 8th floor, which I think is the limit for external Fire Ladders reach, from the ground.
Around 100ft on an extendible ladder.
Having said that, we will go much higher for a short period, to take in the views, photo's etc.
Toronto CN Tower has some fantastic views, including a scary glass floor, (which I did walk across, and looked down from the side !), the viewing platform is around 1,000 feet up I think.
And in Hong Kong, there is the Peak, Sky Terrace 428, again around 1,000 feet up, with fantastic views.
Plus another viewing platform at the Bank of China Building, not quite as high, and always deserted when we have visited...
Fully enclosed, and lovely and cool.
Not advertised as such, a family member showed us this, no restrictions the last time we visited.
http://www.strippedpixel.com/bank-of-china-tower-observation-deck/
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
A group of us were winding down, having a few drinks after a BBQ in the Hotel grounds, with CNN on in the bar...
One friend said she knew the Tower, and was not surprised at the fire.

Talking to her today, she said Smokers would go out onto their balconies to smoke, then just throw their still lit cigarette butts out into the air, to fall down the side of the Tower.
This may or may not have contributed to the fire earlier.
Community Veteran

She did say it was quite an old, not very well constructed building, and fire alarms were always going off, with false alarms.

Old? Torch Tower opened in 2011
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oddball

We're a throwaway society. Tongue
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: Oddball

She thought it was older than that, due to its general appearance and the state of its interior !!
Perhaps corners were cut in its delayed construction ?

Wiki:
In April 2007, the project was running 18 months behind schedule, with the tower's foundations still under construction.
The original expected completion date of June 2008 had been extended to late 2009, with the further extension into 2011.
The Marina Torch was opened in May 2011.

Latest:
External cladding on building's corners was 'charred black and mangled'
One British resident said 'piece of burning cladding' fell on her shoulder
Same external material blamed for another Dubai fire in November 2012