cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towering Inferno

Fixes: 125

Towering Inferno

Just watched this again ( It was probably the best of all the 70's disaster movies and set a high standard) for the umpteenth time but it got me thinking...
...if it was remade (please no) with today's CGI and top-rated actors would it have the same impact, be just as exciting and gripping or would it simply be another run-of-the-mill over-hyped disaster movie?
Who would you expect to play the parts originally by Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Richard Chamberlain, Fred Astaire, etc.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Towering Inferno

it would be treated to the usual Hollywood revamp where its all about the action sequences and sod all to do with the storyline, the reason that film was good was the storyline, if it were to get remade they would also wreck the dynamic of the characters by replacing them with different sexes and nationalities to reflect the more multiculti audience and most likely the love scene would be a lesbian one just to generate rave reviews .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A superbly made movie that shouldn't even thought about for a remake, partly as I feel its hardly aged at all and doesn't need it.
We have it on DVD and it gets a viewing several times a year, and watched it this afternoon as well on The Movie Channel.
It also contains one of my favourite songs "We may never love like this again" by Maureen McGovern.
But what about the fire in the Shard the other day, shades of the Towering Inferno. Fortunately it didn't get too far, but it is still not known what caused it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I thought Richard Chamberlain was marvellous in the film.
The perfect counterpoint to the heroes. A cowardly snivelling wretch.
He did it with an almost pantomime zeal.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Funnily enough I thought Fred Astaire was good in it as well.
Of course Steve McQueen and Paul Newman were excellent in their parts. I can't think of any modern actors who could carry off their parts as well as they did. I entirely agree about Richard Chamberlain as well billnotben.
The girls though could be played by any number of current Hollywood starlets. It is I feel a movie made for male actors to excel, and most of them did in spades.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.