Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tour de Yorkshire........ and Derbyshire......... and Yorkshire

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Tour de Yorkshire........ and Derbyshire......... and Yorkshire

There’s just over a month to go until stage two of the Tour de France Grand Depart sweeps into Derbyshire and locals are being warned of traffic and travel disruption.
The event comes to the Peak District on Sunday July 6, with the riders expected to enter Derbyshire at around 3pm and the 150-strong vehicle procession, known as the caravan, running through beforehand at about 1pm.
The riders will travel along the A6024 near Holme Moss before following the A628 Woodhead Pass towards Sheffield.
http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/grand-depart-yorkshire-2014
http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/just-weeks-until-tour-de-france-arrives-in-the-area-1-6...
http://letour.yorkshire.com/#
http://letour.yorkshire.com/stage-2
41 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Tour de Yorkshire........ and Derbyshire......... and Yorkshire

Yesterday I went on the tour website to see the timings for the Essex stage and I this year they are not listing the time for the caravan for any of the stages. So is there going to be caravan this year or the timing be updated closer to the time?
Saw 2 stages of the tour last year and the caravan can be amusing and enjoyable but did find it a bit boring on the second stage I watched. But it was Paris so all the sponsors want to be seen but how many Carrefour lorries do you want to see?
nadger
Rising Star

I'm sure there'll be a caravan.
Still got the green hand I collected on penultimate stage of 2002 TdF. Smiley
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
There’s just over a month to go until stage two of the Tour de France Grand Depart sweeps into Derbyshire and locals are being warned of traffic and travel disruption.

Spotted on my travels yesterday.
A road to avoid on the 6th July !
In fact, there are many such roads locally...
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

7th July Cambridge grinds to a halt as Le Tour circus hits town. Most city centre roads closed, all buses terminating on the outskirts, schools forced to close. City Council now seems to be panic stricken that nobody will actually be able to get near the course to watch even if they wanted to
Am I the only one for whom the sight of a bunch of sweaty lycra clad blokes on bikes holding up the traffic does absolutely nothing?  Bah humbug Angry
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: beeceegee
Am I the only one for whom the sight of a bunch of sweaty lycra clad blokes on bikes holding up the traffic does absolutely nothing?  Bah humbug Angry

As a TdF fan for well over 60 years I feel the same about World Cup football  Cry
Load of grossly overpaid men rushing round kicking a ball and giving each other love bites  Roll eyes
beeceegee
Rising Star

^^  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's not all bad news at least they will be cycling on the road and not the pavement  Wink
Fixes: 47

The pavements will be full of mothers with buggies and Lycra clad cycling fans.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

More like it will be full of parked cars  Wink
Infinity
Pro

Tour de France Live
2014 Stage One

Sat, Jul 5 · 10:30-17:00 · ITV
Coverage of the opening stage, which takes the riders on a 190.5km journey from Leeds to Harrogate. The famous race features three stages in England, including this one to mark the start of the 101st hosting of the event, as the riders tackle a route that takes in several villages in the Yorkshire Dales, with the steep terrain offering an intriguing opening challenge. There are three climbs in the Dales to be negotiated, but the expectation is still of a sprint finish, with Mark Cavendish hoping to take the Yellow Jersey on home soil.
Sun, Jul 6 · 10:30-17:00 · ITV
Coverage of the second stage, which takes the riders on a 201km journey from York to Sheffield, on the second of three days in England. A sprint finish is expected at the end of this stage, which passes through South, West and North Yorkshire, as well as briefly into Greater Manchester. However, the riders will find this tough going and the favourites will need to be vigilant of attacks, given the proliferation of short, sharp climbs, particularly towards the end of the stage.
Mon, Jul 7 · 12:00-16:30 · ITV
Coverage of the third stage, which takes the riders on a 155km journey from Cambridge to London, on the final day to take place in England. This flat stage will be a perfect one for the sprinters to contest, as the peloton heads past the Olympic Park before a finish on The Mall near Buckingham Palace, with Mark Cavendish once again likely to be among the favourites.
nadger
Rising Star

Having watched the TdF several times live in France the best place to watch now is in front of a TV screen  Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK
There are three climbs in the Dales to be negotiated,

How do you negotiate with a hill? Unless you happen to be an ice age glacial sheet.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Quote from: beeceegee

They don't do anything for me either.
Now I have gone out & watched the elite woman cyclists several times, they are a lot more entertaining to watch.  Wink
Fixes: 47

It'll soon pass...................as will the riders Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation