Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Tour de France

A few sample (climbing) days... Grin

35 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Tour de France

I wonder if the guy(s) who plan these "stages" actually ride a bike ,,,, or are they "deskbound" and want to see some nice scenery from the motorbike cameramen...... Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I’ve often considered the ‘tour’ to be one of the best travelogue programmes televised, an excellent advertisement to visit some of the rural parts of France. How often does the helicopter camera leave the peloton and spend time viewing a chateau somewhere, the commentators always seem to know the history and background of the Chateau as if it has been scripted.
I would have guessed the route planning was masterminded by the French tourist board Roll eyes

Pity the "torch-relay cam" was not (partially) aerial, would have been a wonderful opportunity for the UK Tourist Board Undecided
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
I wonder if the guy(s) who plan these "stages" actually ride a bike ,,,, or are they "deskbound" and want to see some nice scenery from the motorbike cameramen...... Cheesy

The tour use to be more brutal before 1967 when Tom Simpson died on a climb. After this the distances, overall and daily, were reduced plus rest days were brought in.
The longest tour was in 1926 at 3,570 miles. This year tour is 2172 miles which I believe will become the shortest Tour.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys

I’ve often considered the ‘tour’ to be one of the best travelogue programmes televised,
I would have guessed the route planning was masterminded by the French tourist board Roll eyes

and what did we get as an "equivalent"  ? ? ?    The Milk Marketing Board organising a Tour of Britain cycle ride !  ....  Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter

and what did we get as an "equivalent"  ? ? ?   

A torch relay! Crazy
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

The individual towns/villages actually bid (pay money) for the Tour to go through them.
BTW The route (and more details) can be found at http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/interactive/2012/jun/27/tour-de-france-2012-interactive-guide

Community Veteran

Quote from: Un
The individual towns/villages actually bid (pay money)

I'd forgotten that Embarrassed
Fixes: 47

I didn't see this stage in the race Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@strat:- frightening
One I still enjoy is the Haleakala Bike Descent on Maui, you are dropped of by vehicle at 10,000ft at 9:00 in the morning where a leisurely 30 mile bike ride down hill  run until lunch.
Challange is not to peddle or use the brakes.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

On a more "local" note,
L'Etape du Dales: cycling Yorkshire's own 'tour'
Yorkshire's Etape du Dales is a leg-busting 112-mile cycle sportive through stunning scenery with plenty of hills.
Brian Robinson, 81, the first British rider to win a stage of the Tour de France and president of the Etape du Dales,
talks about the joy of cycling in Yorkshire and why it should host the opening stage of the Tour de France

see this short podcast http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/video/2012/jun/29/etapes-du-dales-yorkshire-cycling-video

Community Veteran

Two out of three correct........
1..... Yorkshire has some stunning scenery
2.... Skoda  advert    Cheesy
unfortunately, he needs to go back to skool....... Yorkshire is not in France.... therefore it cant be used as an "opener" for the Tour de FRANCE  Roll eyes
anniesboy
Grafter

The "Tour" can start outside France.
In 1998 it started in Dublin ,the prologue stage was won by Chris Boardman.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: anniesboy
The "Tour" can start outside France.
It does today  Wink
Regions pay to have first 3 days of Le Tour in their area. For example the Vendee had 2005 and 2011 starts.
We were at the 2005 start and Le Nadger was interviewed on France2 much to the surprise of the the French family we stayed with  Smiley
I see that bookies have Wiggins as favourite - let's hope they are right  Cheesy
kdoug007
Grafter

i guess i may be  shouted  at..  but  am  pretty  much  sure , here in england  ,, no one is  at  all interested  in  guys on  bykes.....
  wimbledon  tennis..  europe  footie...much  more interesting