cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tour de France

nadger
Rising Star

Tour de France

My favourite sporting event starts tomorrow http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/COURSE/us/le_parcours.html ; Cheesy
Looking forward to live coverage on ITV4.
It starts in the Vendee and, having holidayed there so many times, I could drive the first three days route without opening a map.
It last started in the Vendee in 2005 - guess who got moaned at for spending 40th wedding anniversary sat by roadside  Embarrassed
At least French TV viewers won't be subjected to my talking French as I was only person prepared to talk with interviewer at the team presentations the day before start. Cool
19 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Tour de France

Looking forward to it as well. Brought my first App for my ipod Touch which give the same information and in a similar format that's on the official Tour website. Cost 59p, thought I could just about afford that.  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not only a good sporting event, but the TV coverage makes it an excellent travelogue for France.
Often find myself looking at Google maps/earth at the same time, following the route.
nadger
Rising Star

One reason I like the live coverage is that the helicopter camera people do a great job of showing chateaux etc. Looking forward to seeing places we've visited on the ground, from the air.
One place we visited as a result of seeing it in TdF coverage was http://www.puydufou.com/en and tour goes near it again this year.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

ITV4 coverage is better this year, first week below
pierre_pierre
Grafter

itsme
Grafter

After years of watching the tour they should edit together all the crashes and show them to overpaid footballers that receive a tap on their bodies then spend the next 5 minutes rolling around with fake pain.
I'm always amazed on some of the injuries they carry on racing with.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what 30 stitches a the back of his right knee and carried on to the end of the stage with just bandages
nadger
Rising Star

Yesterday's incident involving French TV car was disgusting and it's nice to see that it's been kicked off the race. I was watching live transmission when it happened and couldn't believe my eyes.
Sorry to see Alexander Vinokourov pull out with fractured femur as I spoke to him, when he rode for T-Mobile at start of 2005 Tour in Challans.
Not see Devil so far this year.

Fixes: 47

I couldn't believe that.
Presumably the car driver would say he swerved to avoid the tree.
I thought it was a bike race not a free for all. Do they really need all those other vehicles on the road with them?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

The number of vehicles involved is amazing especially if one sees the advertising caravan that precedes the riders.
Fixes: 47

Maybe they should include this stage in the race Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

nadger
Rising Star

Poor chap had to ride in, on his own, to finish and pull on King of the Mountains jersey.
At least one can be certain that TV car driver involved won't ever be allowed on any future Tour.
deekay
Grafter

I feel sorry for the leading riders.
All the way along a stage, they are preceeded by one or two motor bikes about four feet in front of them. This means that they are constantly having to breath the exhaust fumes and be bombarded by the engine noise. Added to that, the constant passing of vehicles. It must be a nightmare and it's time something was done about it.
I've not seen what happens after a stage, but I assume that, as with all other sports, the winner, absolutely exhausted, is immediately descended on by some bright young interviewer, who proceeds to ask a lot of inane questions.