cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tottenham Riots spread across London/England

nadger
Rising Star

Re: Tottenham Riots spread across London/England

Whilst a curfew might be a good idea how does one enforce it if you already have problems controlling a criminal mob.
Hopefully 16,000 officers tonight will do the trick.
Not seen my neighbour, who's with the Met, to hear something from an ordinary copper's angle.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

There is an act of parliament which prevents the Army being used on its own civilian population in England. An old colleague was telling me about it once a couple of years back.
It's very odd and very quirky (and I didn't quite understand it) but its supposed to protect us from ourselves basically hence you won't see the army used for crowd control etc. You'll see them used when the fire fighters are on strike but thats it.
You can clearly understand what the UK government will be accused of the moment they use the army on our own population.. Dictatorship etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jmd
Grafter

Apparently Parliament is being recalled to deal with the riots......................................
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: okrzynska
There is an act of parliament which prevents the Army being used

Quote from: jmdlp
Apparently Parliament is being recalled to deal with the riots......................................

Could be changed surely?
matt_2k34
Grafter

Could be changed surely?

Possibly. Camerons words of  basically If your old enough to do the crime, your old enough for punishment -- how about we actually start prosecuting these people who clearly arent bothered knowing they wont be prosecuted because they're minors. I would not be suprised if the looting is being encouraged by parents - to gain free stuff!
But then, im just a cynic with a moral compass  Wink
Regards
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Could be changed surely?

Yes it could be changed.. but do we really want to go down that route towards dictatorship? My ex-boss was from the army and he was a real nasty piece of work. You imagine guys like him out on the streets with a gun and rubber bullets. I kid you not this guy hated everyone (and vice versa) and he wasn't happy unless he started the day coming in shouting at someone for any stupid thing. Get people like that out on the streets and you're going down the road to dictatorship I promise you.
I do however feel that sending the trouble makers off to national service would change them. So far I've yet to see anyone mention that idea in this thread. Simply send the army down there to pick there 'recruits' from the trouble makers and take them away on the spot. An act of parliament which gives them this power in scenes of rioting only and you've got the job done.
matt_2k34
Grafter

You imagine guys like him out on the streets with a gun and rubber bullets. I kid you not this guy hated everyone (and vice versa)

Thats my current idea of perfection on the streets tbh.
Dictatorship? meh, not really. Police state possibly - but i have no issue with that - the only illegal thing ive ever par-taken in is possibly infringing copyright  Roll_eyes
Great, so national service for yobs, so we can point them at our "enemy" and get laughed at while they fail at discipline ? The army require decent recruits, not just riff-raff or social outcasts/rejects.
Also you failed to think that the army is getting cuts too - so you expect them to take on - and train hundreds of new recruits... with what money?
Regards
Fixes: 382

Believe it or not but I've just seen news of the riots on TV news not having had the TV on for a few days but I have read this thread.
I am unable, in a public forum to express my disgust at the scenes I watched and the comments from a few people involved or on the periphery.
Absolutely speechless.... Angry

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 72.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran

We're already in a Police state Matt. You fail to recognise that but you think bringing in the Army would make it a police state? - Do you not mean an Army state? - Bit late to call it a police state once the army have taken hold isn't it?
Never seen Bad Lads army on TV? - They put in some wastes of life and give them real discipline. National service should be used for the troublemakers where they will have respect drilled into them.
FYI, if thats your idea of perfect streets you wouldn't like it. Would you like hearing of the army shooting someone every other week? Seeing troops on every street corner looking at you like they want to 'have you' etc?
Seriously, the army is an organisation that breeds aggression. Sure.. they're good at going out and shooting stuff but you really want that let loose on our streets?
@strat: Yes I only saw it on TV for the first time yesterday.. terrible stuff isn't it.
nadger
Rising Star

Seriously, the army is an organisation that breeds aggression. Sure.. they're good at going out and shooting stuff but you really want that let loose on our streets?
There's army and army  Smiley I can assure you that being in the army didn't make me feel aggressive toward others Cool
Community Veteran

I've known loads of people from the army... every single one of them has had an attitude problem.
Community Veteran

If you think we live in a Police State I suggest you go and live in a few other countries around the world to see just how much freedom we have.
matt_2k34
Grafter

@artmo - spot on mate.
@okrzynska - im starting to feel your slightly delusional in your strong opinions.. been looking through these?

Ive got a few mates i went to school with in the army, all level headed and aggressive *when its required* -
Bit late to call it a police state once the army have taken hold isn't it?

Uh no, a police state is one with reduced freedom but hardly any crime whatsoever - we clearly are no where near there.
I hate the image that these are giving 'younger' people, i know plenty of people who didnt riot during the student protests, or loot in another excuse to cause a problem (myself inclusive). Absolute joke.
Regards
nadger
Rising Star

every single one of them has had an attitude problem.
Hasn't it occurred to you that these people would have had an attitude problem whether or not they'd been in the army.
I come from a generation where virtually every person had been in the forces  Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Matt_2k34
@okrzynska - im starting to feel your slightly delusional in your strong opinions.. been looking through these?

Whilst I admit I've seen a lot of negative stuff go on, you must admit under Labour, we had new laws every week, month, year and the police were more than happy to use them. There is no denying that is there?