Community Veteran

Re: Tottenham Riots

Quote from: Alex
I've heard the following are/may also be affected:
Woolwich
Eltham
Bexleyheath
Welling

I've got a friend in the Bexley/Falconwood area and she says things are OK there at the moment… although I note that the DLR's closed down to Woolwich by police request so perhaps trouble's brewing but it's not quite become noticeable yet.
I was (to a certain extent) glad to see the riots move away from Enfield today (as that's where I live!), but then I saw the photographs of yet more buildings set on fire, particularly badly in Croydon. Such a wonderful city, reduced to this thievery and anarchy.  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

One brave (or foolish) reporter

-NL3Tro&sns=em
Community Veteran

I don't think I'd have been trying to interviews looters.
What about the girl who was 'getting her taxes back'.  I bet she's never paid tax in her life Wink
jmd
Grafter

One looter/rioter said something about the state never helping anyone who was homeless/unemployed - so what was he doing making more people unemployed as the business burnt down and homeless as they set fire to buildings where people lived!!
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Tottenham Riots spread across London/England

Just changed subject heading to reflect subsequent events  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

nadger
Rising Star

Just watching News24 and they just showed something that could only be described as the lowest of the low.
Young injured lad seemed to be being helped by looters when, as he was distracted, someone stole contents of his rucksack and sauntered off tossing some stuff away.
Community Veteran

Last night the Police had 6-7000 officers on the streets.  Tonight they will have 16000. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: artmo
Tonight they will have 16000.   

I wonder where they will get these number from.
What's wrong with using the Army?  Surely this IS a case where utilising the armed forces could easily be justified to protect the lives and property of British Citizens.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
matt_2k34
Grafter

What's wrong with using the Army?

They're obviously too busy.
I completely agree, i dont understand why they havent drafted in the army, you certainly wouldnt have so much confrontation with the army (tried arguing with a guy with an assault rifle across his chest?)
Im starting to lose patience with the authority tbh, im suprised no one has taken matters into their own hands to be honest. (albeit probably in vain and at their own cost)
Move them on, if they dont go - shoot. simple.
Regards
nadger
Rising Star

Army aren't really trained in civilian riot control. Perhaps the French would lend us the CRC.
Community Veteran

|In an interview with a senior Police Officer half an hour ago he categorically stated the army couldn't do anything that the Police aren't already doing.  He clearly said the increased numbers they now have should see this situation come under control.  Time will tell. 
matt_2k34
Grafter

Indeed, but the army is a very "free" way of increasing the numbers without having to pull officers from days off etc.
Also they could swell the numbers vastly past 16,000, with the army.
Regards
Community Veteran

I wonder how practical it would be to get the Army involved.  Do we have soldiers available in this country in the required numbers? 
matt_2k34
Grafter

Do we have soldiers available in this country

That is probably a good point  Sad too busy fighting everyone elses battles to tailor for our own..
Not even got these boys anymore   Sad  Cheesy

Regards

edit: perhaps its about time they imposed a curfew, and took anyone home who is still on the streets after this time.