cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tottenham Riots spread across London/England

Community Veteran

Re: Tottenham Riots

One suggestion was that the Police could block mobile networks but I don't think this is practical as they rely on the networks themselves for communication.
Just heard my suggestion for a coloured dye (post #12) in water cannon discussed on the radio.  Are we being listened in to Undecided Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

More of the at risk white goods/electronics good store in those areas should be equipped with Smartwater Anti Intruder sprays. (http://www.smartwater.com)
I've used this stuff on a site where there was a PC memory theft problem. It enabled the police to catch the thief. A few notices about smartwater in strategic places after the prosecution saw substantial drop in petty theft
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Some of the looters were very selective.  On TV yesterday there was a woman in a sports shop window trying on a pair of trainers before she left with them. Hopefully all the mobiles stolen will be of no use as they should be blocked from being activated.
nadger
Rising Star

There's no doubt that looters ( thieves) are being selective. As an example they were riding out of Halfords in Brixton on the stolen bikes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

The Police should use water cannon with farmyard manure mixed in with it that would soon get shut of them !!
Must admit I feel sorry for any law abiding citizen living in such places through no fault of their own.
Imagine living there and witnessing drug pushing, muggings, threats etc. Would you turn a blind eye or report it to the Police.
By reporting it you place both yourself and your family at risk.
The trouble is more and more estates are ruled by gangs (often young kids) and the stress of living on those estates must be enormous.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My sister in law has bought a flat in that area. Her boyfriend offended one of the local gangs of youths who ethnic origins was Pakistani or similar. She was forced to move out to rented accommodation after they started threatening violence. Typical age of the gang members was around 17 years, none lived in the street.  The police were useless and refused to take action unless actual injury took place. A year earlier there had been automatic gunfire in the street, bullet holes in the brick work etc.  If you drive around the area it doesn't look deprived, just typical Victorian terraced houses.
I'd just love to take the law into my own hands and enrol these youths into a Scout Troop run by me. That would get them off the street and teach them some standards of acceptable behaviour.However I just cannot stomach being treated as a criminal until proven innocent by the authorities with all the CRB checks and thick guidance rule books that would frown on any type of activity that would be deemed exciting by the misguided youths.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
matt_2k34
Grafter

The Russians and the Americans take both very different views on rioting, both i think are far superior to the method we use.
Russians:
They practically turn up as an Army of Police. They attempt to outnumber the rioters where possible, in full riot gear, sheild and baton in hand. they literally "Drive away" any looters by force.
In the UK - they're probably more afraid of the force (and yes, they are a FORCE dispite the police Political Correct brigand wanting "Police Service" used instead) will be sued for ABH.
Americans:
Often are heavily outnumbered in terms of number of units available compared to rioters. But turn up heavily laden with rubber bullets, tasers, and riot gear.
I dont see why we should be concerned about causing a problem for criminals . i'd much rather see the police using either of the above tactics.
When the" Student protests  ::)" were being undertaken, where they were sitting in Arcadia stores, or in the streets - i personally would have covered them in water. They wont be sitting outside for too long after that. Not to mention their precious blackberry wont enjoy the soaking  Grin
Regards
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Thing is though there is a difference between a peaceful protest and a riot.
I have no objections to protests, we need many of them (not that they're listened to much) but riots I do have an issue with. There is no need for so much destruction. It doesn't solve anything, all it does do is damage the area which as we all know takes a while to recover.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

I also agree people should have the right to protest but the problem is that troublemakers see the protests as an excuse to riot and do damage, which in turn gives the protesters a bad name.
Bit of a catch 22 situation.
I also see from tonights news that more riots have started in the London area this evening.
Hope they jail those who have been arrested and shown to be involved.
Some poor woman was also on the news to say she has lost all her possessions from the other night when her flat was burned out.
In some countries they shoot looters, in this country they get community service (which they never complete)
Community Veteran

Yes there are more riots around London tonight.  Messages are being sent via twitter etc telling people where to gather and even the shops that are being targeted. I say there should be no more pussyfooting around and the rioters should be hit hard to teach them a lesson.
There is even talk of imposing night curfews.  What have we come to Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
What have we come to Sad

Bad times artmo, Bad times.  Cry
Trouble is those lower down in society that keep getting trampled over by the state will eventually decide they've had enough and then snap one day and start fighting back. Then hell breaks loose.
To think, this is supposed to be a civilised society where we all look after each other.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Title may need to change!
Currently riots are in:
London, Birmingham, Fulham, and Croydon.
Not good!
Regards

edit: add Clapham to that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Lavender hill

.be
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

So we currently have:
Birmingham
Tottenham
Peckham
Croydon
Clapham
Lewisham
Hackney
And not on the news yet, but I've heard the following are/may also be affected:
Woolwich
Eltham
Bexleyheath
Welling
The latter two are getting quite close to home Shocked
Community Veteran

Yikes, it's gonna get worse when people realise their simply aren't enough police across the country to control mass crowds like this. Unfortunately I can see the United Krumble becoming incredibly dangerous in the next few weeks.
Stock up on supplies people, I don't want any of my fellow plusnetters getting hurt out there.