cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tottenham Riots spread across London/England

Community Veteran

Re: Tottenham Riots spread across London/England

Philadelphia in the US is having problems with gangs at present and has imposed a 9pm curfew at weekends on under 18s.  As was the case here last week social media sites have exacerbated the situation.
Philadelphia curfew
Whilst the social media sites were used for good as well as bad here there is a need to look at them and see if any action is needed to control them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: walker23
non-uk citizens they should be evicted from this country with no right to ever return.

Agreed:- convicted of "rioting and looting" should invalidate any claim of "human rights".
Edit:-  Initially I didn't understand why some looters were being referred to a higher court
Looting isn't classified as theft. It's burglary under Section 9 of the Theft Act 1968 which is a far more serious offence than theft. Looting and rioting is treated as "aggravated burglary " which is punishable by anything up to life imprisonment.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Philadelphia in the US is having problems with gangs at present and has imposed a 9pm curfew at weekends on under 18s.  As was the case here last week social media sites have exacerbated the situation.

9.00pm under 18 curfews are already enforced in many areas around Philadelphia. In the area where I I used to stay the siren at the fire house went off each evening at 9.00pm to signal the start of the curfew.
Community Veteran

Oddball, how effective was the curfew?
Community Veteran

Extremely effective, usually the only kids who would break the curfew would be up to no good and fair game for the police.
nadger
Rising Star

I see police aren't too happy about bringing in Super Cop
Can't say that I blame them and I'd like to see what his fee will be - probably pay for several beat officers for a year.
Community Veteran

I read yesterday that he won't be paid for the job he is being asked to do. It is to offer advice to government.
He has been working with various police Forces in this country as an advisor for some time.
Having said that, I can understand why some of our Chief Constables are unhappy that he might be considered for the Met Police job.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Oddball
Here are some of GMP's finest enforcing the law.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8693310/Manchester-police-confront-suspected-ri...
*round of applause
EDIT: I suppose they will now be prosecuted for attempted murder!
Great work there and they should count themselves lucky, In some countries you would get worse than that.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran

I bet some of the culprits will think twice before joining in further trouble. Wink
Community Veteran

As posted earlier, the Notting Hill Carnival will go ahead but it has been decided to close it 2 hours early to attempt to clear the area in daylight. Seems a sensible move.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Two remanded on riot murder charges

A 26-year-old man and a teenager have been remanded in custody after appearing in court charged with the murders of three men who were struck by a car during last week's riots.
Haroon Jahan, 21, and brothers Shazad Ali, 30, and Abdul Musavir, 31, suffered fatal injuries when they were hit by the car in the early hours of Wednesday while trying to protect shops in Winson Green, Birmingham, from looters. They were all pronounced dead in hospital.
During a brief hearing at Birmingham Magistrates' Court, Joshua Donald, 26, from Kelsall Croft, Ladywood, appeared charged with three counts of murder.
Donald and a 17-year-old male from Winson Green, who cannot be named because of his age, were arrested on Thursday and were charged late last night after police were granted extra time by Solihull Magistrates' Court to question them.

Source
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: artmo
I read yesterday that he won't be paid for the job he is being asked to do.

Eh! an advisor to a government not being paid? do we have a genuine selfless humanitarian here?
I think we should be told.... 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Steve
a 17-year-old male from Winson Green, who cannot be named because of his age,

I think that rule should change, they should be named.
jim:green qote fixed mod:end
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

completely agree, however we do need to be careful as some thugs are quite happy to have their photographs appear in the press.
Just adds to their boast about how hard they are.
Not uncommon to see people out and about with tags on (can't recall the correct name for them) If I ended up wearing one of these I would be too ashamed to show my face in public !
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Eh! an advisor to a government not being paid? do we have a genuine selfless humanitarian here?
I think we should be told.... 

An interesting article written by Bill Bratton from today's Mail on Sunday
Bill Bratton