cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tottenham Riots spread across London/England

nadger
Rising Star

Tottenham Riots spread across London/England

Wonder how many £millions the damage will come to.
I guess the first rule is not to commit suicide by shooting CO19 officer.
I see that he was Broadwater Farm resident.
202 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Tottenham Riots

The scenes on TV are very disturbing.  The violence was totally unnecessary.  A peaceful demonstration was hijacked by a small minority of people intent on causing trouble. All credit to the Police for their efforts in dealing with the problem. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The friends of  Mark Duggan do have the right to protest peacefully and I support that right. I also think they'd do better to wait for the outcome of the police enquiry before deciding on their next course of action. Let's face it Mark Duggan was no angel. Angels don't carry guns in minicabs. Unfortunately their protest provided the trigger for riots by people not involved directly in the Mark Duggan circle.
The people living in Tottenham will pay a high price for these riots for a long time, The loss of facilities and jobs. Many householders suffering instantaneous negative equity etc.  Many of the people involved in the riots were essentially there to loot and probably living outside of the area. When a rioter throws a stone he/she rarely thinks about the long term butcher's bill. Let's hope the police can get some good evidence from the tweet records. "Incitement to riot....etc"
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
tweet records. "Incitement to riot....etc"

One key to controlling an 'organised riot' is to take away the ability for the rioters to communicate. Wonder if the authorities will begin to shut down the mobile phone network in instances of civil unrest.
Could it happen?
Community Veteran

Apparently the Tottenham area is known as the gun capital of the UK. Since Broadwater Farm the community has made great strides to rid itself of the bad image it had but it has always been a tinderbox and last night it exploded again. As said by AlaricAdair, it will take many years before it can get back to any semblance of normality again.
nadger
Rising Star

I see that the Sweeney is investigating. Det Supt John Sweeney - bet he gets some teasing  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It should be made clear to any person who is carrying a gun and does not have a firearms certificate then they put their lives at risk if confronted by armed police.
No one has the right to carry a gun in public unless they are legally entitled to do so.
nadger
Rising Star

Couldn't agree more and nowadays getting a firearms certificate is much more difficult than when I held one.
Originally got mine back in 1968 and all it really took was a letter from my rifle club confirming that I was a member. When I had certificate I was able to buy a competition rifle and keep it + ammo at home. I was allowed to carry rifle openly on way to club and other ranges. I stress that this was a single shot, bolt action, weapon.
Getting a licence for a handgun must be virtually impossible these days but getting a gun must be quite easy.
Whilst I feel sorry for Mark Duggan's family it does seem that he got his just deserts.
jmd
Grafter

I feel for the older folk who live in that area and remember the riots 25 yrs ago and thought that things were better - the majority of those taking part in the rioting/looting etc do not appear to have been born then and as someone has said are probably not even resident there!  They are ones who just want to make trouble and go looking for it!
Community Veteran

Further outbreaks of trouble last night around London.  Brixton, Walthamstow and Enfield saw troubles which the Police had to deal with.  I think the Police need more facilities to deal with the problem and I would like to see water cannon used to contain the rioters.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

For some reason, in spite that they are used very successfully around the world. The British Police (except in N Ireland) have always been shy of using water cannon.
Unless they are worried about the cost (I believe some are built in the UK for other countries) it is difficult to see why.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Stingballs, CS Gas, rubber bullets, air vortex cannons, mm wave active denial systems all all effective methods of dispersing these late night shoppers.  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

It appears there was a carnival in Brixton at the weekend which passed without any trouble. It points to the trouble being caused by a small group of people intent on causing mayhem.
@Petlew, you are right about water cannon being effective and like you I can't see why they have not been used.  I'd also put a dye in the water which may help the Police to identify the criminals after the event.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
these late night shoppers.  Wink

Are coordinated, one step ahead of the police, who seem to be 'fire-fighting' after the event, by the time the police arrive the central core of looters/rioters have moved onto another district, only the hangers-on get picked up by the police Undecided Undecided
nadger
Rising Star

Nowadays it seems that modern communication makes it all to easy to stay one step ahead of the police  Sad