Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally Dedicated?....or just bonkers?

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Totally Dedicated?....or just bonkers?

My hobby, pastime (and sometimes money-maker) is fishing, and here's what happened on a recent outing...

I was just wondering if anyone else has a hobby that others think you should need a straight-jacket for?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
15 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Totally Dedicated?....or just bonkers?

I dont know if i need a straight jacket ,,, But some friends say i am a Anorak Tongue 

i spend a lot of time at Airshows watching planes , or just Aircraft Museums 

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think fishing is totally bonkers ! !....

Used to live on a Narrowboat, so we saw many fishermen types hauling a load of fishing gear down the towpath, to "selected" positions,... getting it all set up... opening the tin of maggots, and then spending the rest of the day drowning them , one by one... Shocked

going home at the end of the day, packing all that gear up, and hauling it back to the truck they brought it all  in !..

Morse sending.gif003  new key storage & connector rail.JPG014 desktop full_800x487.jpgMorse Key Collection panorama_with names_800x233.jpgBeats me why they didn`t just open the maggot tin, and chuck em all in off the bridge, then  off t` pub, f`t` rest of day, snug as a bug and doing that other complete waste of time... watching football !  Smiley

Meanwhile, I waste my time sitting in front of my laptop,... surfing the net,  chatting to strangers all around the world with my Morse Keys... watching movies, and thoroughly enjoying my peaceful life ! ! ..

Oh and sometimes I come on this forum, when I`m a bit bored ! ! ! ...

Pete11
Pro

nice collection of morse keys Thumbs Up I used to play around with sstv a while ago, gave up on morse, wifey complained about noise.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No way could I go fishing, be bored after a few minutes.

I always feel the need to be doing something which might seem odd as I thought getting older would mean being less active but seem to be doing more these days, Fell Walking, photography, gardening, internet and getting involved in anything that attracts my interest ie: A local millionaire is trying to close a local golf course he owns and build houses on it, past couple of applications have been rejected but he is still at it with a new application. so am fairly involved with the local protest group.

Nope I am not  nimby, planning application for house building in the immediate area has already been granted for several thousand houses and local roads are already struggling to cope.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

If there are approved buildings on the horizon then I’d be inclined to keep the Golf Club considering he has all of these potential new members once the house build is complete.

But I guess he thinks he can make more money building houses on, what is in effect green belt land. But unless he was born with a silver spoon in his orifice you don’t make millions from bad decisions!

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I used to collect old shaving mugs, how mental is that? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Minivanman, quite, but to be honest it's a mugs game. Grin

Minivanman
Hero

I doubt it can get any worse than these guys that meet up just to knock seven bells out of each other just for the fun of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08flw2v/russias-hooligan-army

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
salmo
Rising Star

No Pete you are not bonkers. I spend a lot of my spare time fishing and it is far from boring. I mainly fly fish and it is great to get out in  the fresh air. Plenty of exercise walking along the river from pool to pool. Many times you see creatures like otters appear. In June and July my main love is sea trout fishing through the night. Totally absorbing wading down a river in dark anticipating the fish taking the fly. I can't wait for the season to start again. 

One regret is you see so few youngsters fishing now. Many (but certainly not all) seem to prefer to sit in front of a computer. 

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

I did Taxidermy from quite a young age much to the bemusement of the school careers officer. I wanted to become a professional really badly when I left school but finding somewhere in the UK to train me was a nightmare. I ended up doing an apprenticeship for British Rail Engineering Ltd instead but whilst doing that I did get to go and work for two short weeks with a Taxidermist in Oban Scotland. It was an interesting time and I learnt how to skin Royal Stags and feral Goats that had been shot on the Isle of Mull. The most interesting animal I skinned was a Lioness which we collected from some old guys freezer near to Loch Ness, I'm not sure how he came by it but it had been badly treated. I remember when I skinned it's head it had lots of bruises and wobbly teeth, poor thing! 

I was also a keen CB radio enthusiast for quite a while, i had my CB radio strapped to the handlebars of my push bike and went by the user name (handle) Taxidermist for obvious reasons though that turned out to be a foolish choice of names.., most people told me to get stuffed!!

I like going metal detecting now which is a bit of an anorak hobby but I'm past caring nowadays, here's some of my more interesting finds to date..

Copy of Spearhead Scaled.jpg

95 Musket Balls - all found within a few square meters of each other. Due to the vast number of them it's believed these would have been made nearby as some had not been fired. Date around 1700's

DSCF0722.JPG

Iron Meteorite (Iron Octohedrite) found in woods close to home summer 2006

DSCF0078.JPG 

Also found several small Roman coins but no photos as they're badly worn so don't show much detail.

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

Love fishing would fish (and often have) from first light to dusk. Started at the age of 5, too long ago unfortunately. 

It's far from boring, the wild you see is spectacular and time goes surprisingly fast.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@MKSlinky  Maybe the local minicab trade thought Taxi-Dermist was a newcomer trying to muscle in on their trade, hence the less than welcoming attitude.

And I'm sure you could do a better job than the taxidermist who stuffed (or stuffed up) this poor feline https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnTmvQNWqX8

Pete11
Pro

Mayfly wrote:

Love fishing would fish (and often have) from first light to dusk. Started at the age of 5, too long ago unfortunately. 

It's far from boring, the wild you see is spectacular and time goes surprisingly fast.

That's one reason why I go. And the nights bring a few surprises too. I once felt a little nudge on my back on a fishing trip down Newark, turned out to be a baby deer. Shocked

I was also feeding some young hedgehogs with worms that I'd taken with me. Thumbs Up

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Jonpe wrote:

@MKSlinky  Maybe the local minicab trade thought Taxi-Dermist was a newcomer trying to muscle in on their trade, hence the less than welcoming attitude.

That's about as silly as the time someone asked if a Taxidermist was a device for de-misting taxi windscreens, 'taxi-de-mist'. Undecided

It was a fun hobby none the less. I got asked one day over dinner in our works canteen how animals are stuffed, obviously not having a dead animal to demonstrate the technique I had to think outside the box a little and so I performed surgery on a BR chip and promptly stuffed it with mushy peas, looked quite good but I doubt it would have stood the test of time, a bit like that manky cat video on YouTube. You've heard of stuffed potato skins right? I invented that dish.