Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tory wants unemployed to work on fibre roll out

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Tory wants unemployed to work on fibre roll out

How do you take to that?
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/367441/tory-mp-make-unemployed-build-britains-fibre-network
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Tory wants unemployed to work on fibre roll out

Good and bad to consider here. Using the unemployed and not actually paying them an equivalent wage takes us back to the days of slavery.  Thats a dangerous path for a civilised / diplomatic society. However, if they're going to pay the NMW for these people to 'work' and be 'employed' doing this for them then it could work well.
Why on earth don't they use the probation service for this/
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I have often thought that the unemployed should be encouraged to work for their benefits.  Many have not worked for a long time, if at all, and it would be a useful way to get them back into the workplace and could lead to them securing full time employment. Any scheme like this would have to be monitored to prevent abuse.
Community Veteran

"Building a superfast rural broadband network is largely low-skill - digging trenches, laying pipes, filling them in," Davis writes. "Only a small fraction of the cost is high-tech materials."

Given the number of mistakes made (and accidents) digging trenches by supposedly skilled/trained operatives this sounds like a soundbite rather than a serious proposal.  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Any scheme like this would have to be monitored to prevent abuse.

And thats the problem we have. There are many things that are 'monitored' in the UK including the banking sector but just monitoring doesn't actually stop anything bad happening. It just raises 'concerns' in reports that are then referred to when the next scandal hits the headlines.
I've nothing against the unemployed working for their benefits, as long as their benefits pay the NMW so they can actually have a half decent standard of living. I once heard of some absurd idea of making them work AND making them pay their own travelling etc out of their dole.
I also think HP has hit the nail on the head too. Digging trenches.. what happens if you've medical problems that prevent this? The jobcentre have a history of not giving a rats about this kind of thing and then stopping your benefits.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: HPsauce
Given the number of mistakes made (and accidents) digging trenches by supposedly skilled/trained operatives this sounds like a soundbite rather than a serious proposal.  Roll eyes
Given that they are replacing a water main along my road and I went out twice to advise them to avoid the underground electric cable - I told them exactly where it was.
Comment - if the electricity board haven't put it deep enough that is their problem.
Result - they hit it and had to call the electrical company out to fix it. I hope they got charged a bundle for it
itsme
Grafter

Which is buried deeper, water or electric? Let me think, hmm, water because electricity can't freeze.  Grin
Community Veteran

I spoke to some guys from the local waterboard once and asked them about how they find their target pipes and avoid other things. He said to me that they didn't actually know what else might be there with their pipes and they had no way of knowing what was there or if anything else had been put there since they last dug up the road etc. He said they cut through all sorts of things on a daily basis because there are no records kept of what is where and by whom.
Seems daft doesn't it. All this technology and we still can't dig up the road accurately (although i did read of a new tech years ago that was supposed to solve this but nothing seems to have come of it since).
Community Veteran

We had major water works done a few months back and the pipe lay was found with a handheld gadget.  Similarly, the electricity company used a device that identified their cables.
itsme
Grafter

There are Trackers as I worked on design modifications some 20 years ago. But it's normal nowadays to place warning tapes about a foot above the buried service.
Community Veteran

We had major water works done a few months back and the pipe lay was found with a handheld gadget.  Similarly, the electricity company used a device that identified their cables.

Maybe thats the gadget then. Its been a while now - probably around 5 years since i heard about it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I have often thought that the unemployed should be encouraged to work for their benefits.  Many have not worked for a long time,

Being in this situation  Cry I have been unemployed for 4 1/2years. I receive NO BENEFITS AT ALL (excluding council tax relief) since my wife works for 18hours a week (at just over Min wage) if she were to stop working we could claim JSA etc but she doesn't want to stop her job - why should she have to stop working to be BETTER OFF? We have no kids and own our own house, I was made redundant and have failed to find any work locally (given that most of the local jobs are retail and I have never worked in a shop  Crazy)  I stopped signing on several years ago as they could offer me NOTHING other than you need to apply for 4 jobs a week - as if there were actually 4 local jobs a week!
They would be better off getting a real job creation scheme rather than these half-assed measures. Or use the people who are in prison/on community service.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
They would be better off getting a real job creation scheme rather than these half-assed measures. Or use the people who are in prison/on community service.

Many States in America use prisoners as you suggest.  It gets these jobs done as well as giving some training to the prisoners that could be useful when they are released.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but dont the instructors have a big gun?
Fixes: 47

I'll volunteer to work on the scheme in my area.....because no-one else seems to want to Cry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation