cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tory living wage a "con trick" on the young

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Tory living wage a "con trick" on the young

A fine example of how the young are being discriminated by those in power.
GEORGE Osborne’s new National Living Wage will leave workers under 18 almost £6500 a year worse off than those over 25, new official figures have revealed.  Under the Conservative government’s plans, the new living wage will ensure those over 25 are paid at least £7.20 an hour from April 2016, or £14,040 a year based on a 37.5 hour week.
However, in line with the current minimum wage, the rates vary according to a person’s age.
From April, apprentices will be entitled to £3.30 an hour, or £6,435 a year; workers under 18 will get £3.87 an hour, or £7546 a year; 18-20 year olds will get £5.30 an hour, or £10,335 a year, and those aged between 21 and 24 will get £6.70 an hour, or £13,065.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/13620780.Tory_living_wage_a__quot_con_trick_quot__on_the_youn...
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Tory living wage a "con trick" on the young

That's a non story. So apprentices a paid less than experienced workers. Wow!
The best thing that can be done for young workers is to get them their first job so that they can gain experience. Otherwise employers would avoid employing young inexperienced workers at inflated wages. Simples  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Good Heavens. Apprentices/young people were paid like that when I was apprenticed at 15 some 50 odd years ago!
I was paid £2.5.9d a week whilst the skilled guys were paid about about £12!
There's no discrimination - young people have to learn first and earn later!
Geoff,
York.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

It was tough when I left school. Got a job on the YTS before going freelance and earning a proper wage at the age of 16 that some could only dream of. But you cant argue with these figures and in 2015 this is terrible for young folk. I've always been of the opinion that it IS age discrimination and always will believe that. Some folk young folk work harder than the CEO of whatever and a lot harder than those sponging of the tax payer down in Westminster.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My first (taxed) job I was earning £1/hr vs a lot more for some one skilled.
If they were to pay the learners the same as the skilled then there wouldn't be any reason to get skilled would there?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

when i was a apprentice LONG time ago my first wage was £11 , 7shillings  for a 40 hr week  Roll eyes
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: M
I've always been of the opinion that it IS age discrimination and always will believe that. Some folk young folk work harder than the CEO of whatever and a lot harder than those sponging of the tax payer down in Westminster.

Can't argue with that. I've said often that many warehouse workers are hard workers yet there are some here who will claim they got where they are because they worked 'hard'. I don't see warehouse workers on the minimum wage getting rich because they worked hard.. so it seems to me there is a stark difference - working hard or working smar. Those who work smart however will always claim they worked 'hard' because it makes them feel better about being advantaged while there are others stuck in desperate times due to no fault of their own.
Quote from: PeterLoftus
That's a non story. So apprentices a paid less than experienced workers. Wow!
The best thing that can be done for young workers is to get them their first job so that they can gain experience. Otherwise employers would avoid employing young inexperienced workers at inflated wages. Simples  Cheesy

Yes.. and then perhaps all those 40-50s who are suddenly unemployable because all the young are cheaper to employ, will suddenly be valuable to society and the workforce again.
Quote from: NedLudd
There's no discrimination - young people have to learn first and earn later!

Unless you're in a desperate situation where you can't afford to learn and have to earn to survive - and in that case you're absolutely screwed - just like i was.
Earning a pittance is fine if you have parents that can house you and pay your way for you. For the rest of the kids who don't have that, what you lot are effectively saying is "stuff you".
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: 7up
Unless you're in a desperate situation where you can't afford to learn and have to earn to survive - and in that case you're absolutely screwed - just like i was.
Like I was, my dad was a lousy dad to me although he probably done his best in his opinion, turfed out and left homeless with no family to turn to and no job I had to really use my noodle. I was really vulnerable in every way imaginable but after I decided I was being exploited by the government for cheap labour  ( YTS ) I wasn't having any of it. And I worked so hard freelancing that I was earning more than others of my age group in the end.
Fixes: 47

1963 1st job as a trainee lab technician and was paid £3 15s with an increase after 1 year to £4 10s.
Happy days.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@7up,
I have met people my own age who had to go out to work as soon as they left school irrespective of how clever they might have been, some ended up in various jobs that paid the minimum wage whilst others went to night school or got a degree later in life and improved their circumstances.
In my own case I was in a job that provided the opportunity to undertake courses but with no guarantee you would get a better position at the end of it but such exam courses were essential if you applied for a better position.
I don't think the responses you have had mean, "stuff you" it's just that many older folk on this forum have had it tough at times, in fact I guess few of us have had it easy .
Smiley
Community Veteran

I'm not saying "Stuff you" to anyone. I was smart enough to do something about it myself!
I spent 6 years at night school to get myself out of the poverty trap and wound up being a middle manager in the worlds biggest food company.
I'm proud of my achievements and I don't think you can say working smart is not working hard. It's work, work, work and more hard work whether that's learning or earning!
Education is the way out of poverty.
Geoff,
York.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: rongtw
when i was a apprentice LONG time ago my first wage was £11 , 7shillings  for a 40 hr week  Roll eyes
Apprenticeships are not what they used to be.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
I don't think the responses you have had mean, "stuff you" it's just that many older folk on this forum have had it tough at times, in fact I guess few of us have had it easy .

If they've had it so tough then they should appreciate that its getting tougher and they should not be so happy to watch it happening again to another young generation.
It seems to me that many people in this country have a "I survived it so you should go through it too" attitude and for some reason they think they can justify it like that.
I'm a dad now but even before my boy came along I was concerned that the young generations from poor backgrounds were being hit harder than ever.. but it seems many are the opposite - quite happy to watch it happen.
I have to question humanity sometimes.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A non-story.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@AlaricAdair perhaps you could answer me this as you keep chiming in with the ' non story ' attitude, do you think that with the current state of this country and given the figures in my opening post why this is acceptable in 2015/2016? The future is the younger generation yet the government seems hell bent on holding them back.