cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tories looking to limit the number of times you can see your GP

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Tories looking to limit the number of times you can see your GP

I had to double check the date wasn't April 1st when I read this: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2331068/Fury-Tories-look-limit-number-times-GP-year.html
There's a petition running to tell Jeremy Hunt what we think of this idea: https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/dont-cap-GP-visits#petition
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Tories looking to limit the number of times you can see your GP

That's just plain weird. The main reasons I book appointments with my GP is because he tells me to!  Crazy
I actually saw him today, one month (as requested by him) after my last visit. I am to go back in 3 months as requested by him.
I also see a consultant at a hospital outpatients clinic regularly; again they set the schedule not me.
(the two are actually unrelated conditions)
Community Veteran

The document itself is here:
http://www.conservativepolicyforum.com/sites/www.conservativepolicyforum.com/files/local_health_disc...
If you scroll down to page 11 you will see what they are getting at - cleverly worded but clearly something that is crossing the conservatives minds:

No-one should have the right to meddle with the nations health care like that. This is not right.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Documents examining health reforms ask Tory activists if they agree or disagree with an annual cap on the number of appointments patients can book.
It is one of a number of options grassroots members were asked to look at in a consultation document,

Ref "my bold" above....
Can someone explain if these two terms are referring to the same people?
I thought that "activists" were the people who stirred the .....  and the "grass roots" were the people who had " conservative" views ( no matter what party they were in....
Community Veteran

Not a clue mate. All I know is I can't wait for them to loose the next election.. trouble is the alternative is just as bad  Roll eyes
Ah well, I doubt this will ever come in during this parliament to be honest and I reckon they'll loose the next election so I don't see it going anywhere to be honest. Even if it did it sounds more like a deterrent than absolute policy - just like the fit note that can still sign you off the same way the sick note could.
I'm not going to loose any sleep over it yet..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

This all looks like a vicious circle to me, currently the NHS is complaining about A&E being used as a de facto GP surgery as it is difficult to get appointments, GP's are constantly telling us a large proportion of patients could easily get their advice from their local pharmacy, and pharmacies tell us they are not qualified doctors and refer back to their GP's.
Have you ever had one of those annual pharmacy interviews if you are a regular repeat prescription user? (possible it may only be branches of Boots who do this) surely, this is the job of the doctor who prescribed the medication...well actually they do with an annual review nowadays, so why? are pharmacies doing it as well I wonder. I see £££'s ringing up for each customer interviewed.
This is not an observation of the quality of sharp end NHS which I find first-class, but a comment on its unnecessary bureaucracy..
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Such a proposal would be resisted strongly by GPs who would see their profit margins affected. Don't forget most GPs are either Partners or employed by a partnership. Those partnerships are independent profit making organisations who happen to contract to provide services to the NHS, they are not NHS employees. Any surplus money goes into the pockets of the partners. So any restriction on the number of visits by patients would affect the bank balances of the GPs and as we've seen in the many closures of nurse led (NHS) walk-in in centres the GPs are quick to close down competition. They are a powerful lobby group in the corridors of the Tory HQ.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

More responsibility is being put on GPs for our health care in the future.  They will be doing more work not less with the plan to keep patients out of hospital. GP treatment is very cost effective compared to the same treatment given in hospital.
Community Veteran

I think the "modern" GP is setting a good example with their healthy Florida tans and their regular exercise on the golf course. Sad
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: AlaricAdair
So any restriction on the number of visits by patients would affect the bank balances of the GPs ....

GPs do receive remuneration for carrying out specific tasks such as minor operations but , unless anything has changed recently, GPs do not get paid for each routine patient consultation. They get fixed fees per year per patient on their lists whether they see them or not.
Fixes: 47

My doctor must love me then as I've seen her 3 times in about 15 years.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@alanf, you are correct.  GPs do not get paid by the number of visits a patient makes to see them.  I believe the current annual payment per patient is £65.  I hope to be able to clarify this sum shortly as I am awaiting information from the CCG for a report I am doing.
shalom2010
Grafter

Luckily I don't visit my GP too often, maybe once a year (after several operations I now just see my consultant yearly) - however, I also have to see the District Nurse at the surgery maybe twice a year, does that count?Huh
I think the main issue here is not the number of visits to either a hospital or GP surgery, it's the reason for the visit. I think there must at least 30% of 'time wasters' who could just visit the pharmacy for general advice, (or...I'm going to say
it - use common sense and think of the solution yourself!)
How to solve the above is more complicated and I'm sure if I said introduce say a call centre (!) to 'vet' GP/hospital appointments you'd all get very annoyed. So I won't say it Smiley
Fixes: 125

Quote from: shalom2010
...a call centre (!) to 'vet' GP/hospital appointments

With some of the rude and obnoxious poeple I've seen in GP's surgerys I would have thought a vet would be more appropriate Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Very true.
I Would certainly not want to be a GP these days, some people expect the doctor to have an answer or cure for everything but in some cases it's people's life style that has caused the problem which may or may not be their own fault. For example if I was unfortunate enough to live on one of these estates in a high rise block with people selling drugs and causing all sorts of problems I would no doubt see the doctor complaining of depression but no matter what he prescribes that ain't going to cure it.
Tons of other examples like this when you think about it.