Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tops off!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Tops off!!

No not what you were thinking... Roll eyes
Been out this morning with the outside temperature on the dash thermometer at 22c at 09:30 in the morning. The small army of convertibles and cabriolets are out with their tops down.
Has anybody here ever driven or been a passenger in one of these cars for any length of time? 
When a few years ago youngest son went abroad for six weeks during a hot summer I had the use of his bright yellow Triumph Spitfire. to say it attracted attention is an understatement, at his age it was probably a "bird-puller" at my age I just looked like an ageing sad lothario.
But my point is, with the top down in bright hot sunshine I ended up with fairly severe sunburn. Getting the wind in your hair may be nice but I'd rather have a closed car with air-con any day.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Tops off!!

For a moment I thought you were celebrating reaching the top of The Shard.
Air con is a feature that is specifically on my list when looking for a replacement car and what a blessing it is.
I did once have a 5 mile ride in a soft top and didn't see much for my hair blowing in my eyes (I had a lot more then) and I wasn't impressed.
I once saw a wedding party travelling in an open top procession when the heavens suddenly opened.
All following traffic had to stop while they scrambled to get the roofs up.
Everyone including the bride was soaked.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Convertible? Never. The roofs are flimsy and often targetted by youths with nothing better to do.
I enjoy a sunroof but the air con is a dream! Pain in the grass to put right when you've knackered it but when it works on a roasting hot day its the best thing since sliced bread!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
CaptainFantasti
Grafter

I'm sure I've seen convertibles parked up with the top down. Huh
How does that work?
You'd have to clear the car of all removable items.
maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I regularly leave my convertible parked in a covered car park with the roof down - I don't leave any valuables in it. The boot release can be disabled using the remote key, and if anyone tries to unlock the car without using the remote key the alarm goes off. Parking in the open is not advisable if there are pigeons or seagulls in the vicinity.
I do keep a couple of hats in the car, and if driving any distance I use sunblock. Leaving the side windows fully up cuts down on the ''wind in your hair' experience.
Air con is for wimps!  Roll eyes
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran

@CaptainFantantastic, Humm! I made a similar point in a recent topic about motor insurance I think.
Either the rag-top cars are surrounded by a tamper-proof force field shield, or the owners have more faith in human honesty than many do. On the other hand if a ta-leaf wants the car less damage is done if the top is already down. When you think about it side windows on most cars are ridiculously easy to break made from tempered glass rather than laminated a'la windscreens so present few problems for opportunistic thieves.
Owners filling their back seats with their belongings are really the problem.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: maranello
May use it later today  Cool
Back in 1962 I took an MGA Twin Cam up M1 from Edgware to Luton ( it was just 2 lanes to Hemel in those days) and, legally, topped 100mph which was really great in open car.
For the limited use one gets the extra one pays for cabriolet doesn't seem worthwhile.
Girl across road bought top of range Ford Focus in 2007 and spent 2 years sending it back to cure leaks.
Community Veteran

But it's a lot quieter than the wind rushing by at 60mph..
Community Veteran

Yeah! maybe but wimps are cool though.

maranello
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: nadger

Girl across road bought top of range Ford Focus in 2007 and spent 2 years sending it back to cure leaks.

That's because the Focus was designed initially as a saloon car with the roof providing strength and stiffness. Take it away and the car flexes more and the doors and folding roof go out of alignment.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: nadger

The garage forgot to tell her to put the roof up, when it rains  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Leaks on convertibles? Get some plumbers silicon grease. Great for waterproofing the rubber seals.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
kdoug007
Grafter

why  do  guys  have  tatoos... is  it  to make them look butchHuh Smiley
Fixes: 47

No it's so they can remember their wife's name.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Which one?  Cheesy
It must be said kdoug, that was a very random thought / question for a topic about convertible cars..