cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much technology!

craigyoung
Grafter

Too much technology!

Does anyone else find that over the last few years, technology appears to have developed at such a rapid rate that there are too many options?
For example - I have an ipod for music. which is great.  But of course, I could also load music onto my phone - not as much as the ipod, but then I could also listen to the radio on the phone which I can;t on the ipod.
And my PSP can also be used as a music player.  Again, not as much as the ipod, but is better for looking at videos.  But you can't listen to the radio on it, although the internet connection is much better than the phone.  But not as good as a laptop, which does most things, but isn't as portable. 
And though the laptop stores all the content of my ipod, the sound quality is not as good.  And don't get me started on whether I should play music through my fairly decent CD player, or plug the ipod into the Denon dock which is linked to the surround sound! Or radio through Sky?
Aaarghh!  And every time I stick a CD into the laptop, I get messages such as "Do you want to copy this to itunes, or your Nokia, or burn to disc, or load on your PSP, or have it make you a cup of tea or maybe do a little dance for you?"
I guess that ultimately things will settle down (along the lines of the iphone) but I get surprisingly stressed at having a pocket full of devices which all do a million things but none as good as another in one regard or another.
Or - am I just too damn old and should go back to a black and white tv and a gramophone?
Comments and insults welcomed equally (but not the insults).
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Too much technology!

I often find myself thinking something similar too - that there're millions of options available in areas of personal technology, yet never one that seems to actually be 100% perfect for my needs. For example, I've got an iPhone - great piece of kit. But it only has 16GB of space, whereas really I could do with a few more gigs, which will probably materialise in a 32GB model one day. At the same time however, choice is good. Because there are so many choices, we can all choose the compromise that's most suitable for each of us. And if we don't know which compromise is best, chances are that technology's advanced enough these days for any compromise to be pretty reasonable.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have an Archos 705, I currently have approx 40 video, 200 tunes, 2000 photos, a decent web browser , can be used as a PVR, wifi built in. some games, battery  driven, fit in pocket., slightly larger and Asus Eeepc 4G, also battery, not a great memory, but full open office, 3 usb, ethernet, Thunderbird mail, linux, listened to BBC Essex in Cardigan, and St Austel. Skype,  both can talk to each other. Nearly Heaven when on Hols Crazy
craigyoung
Grafter

Yes, yes, but what does the tea taste like?  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

It dosnt quite get hot enough to warm the water, sorry Roll eyes Roll eyes
TonyPhotoplus
Grafter

Quote from: craigyoung
Yes, yes, but what does the tea taste like?   Grin

I think you have cracked it!
It would be nice for once for things to stand still and catch up.  Already the video is redundant and the DVD player is going out for Blueray and the like.  My TV I have had for years that has had to go.  As you can see I am a make do and mend as new tech is not in my expenditure.  Computers you buy are yesterdays news.  Technology is great, just a shame it can't resolve the energy crisis.  Won't get on my soap box about that it would need a book!  A new packet of seeds is better I can grow those and cut down on my food bills and have excellent organic foods.  
Tony
craigyoung
Grafter

I have decided on the best course of action. 
I will print out the contents of the entire internet tonight and that way have to dispense with any sort of internet connection, simply carry round a (admittedly rather large) file instead.
And by simply singing my favourite out loud all day long wil mean I can lose the ipod.  Singing all day also has the added bonus that I will have no friends and therefore no need for a phone. 
Good day to you all - if you want me, I shall be in my cave, attempting to start a fire with two sticks.

N/A

Craig - you have my full support - I agree that technology (particularly new stuff) is all getting a bit much.
In line with the previous correspondent, I too often wonder what it would be like living in a cave and rubbing two sticks together to make fire.
Seriously though, I do find some of it is more an ordeal than a pleasure and that it can be  rather superfluous.
There is a fine line to be drawn between enjoying new gadgets and actually getting sucked in by them so they almost dominate your life. Like everything, it is just getting the balance right.
However, very often all this stuff doesn't always make us happier so it's probably best to consider wisely before parting with hard-earned cash for the 'must-have'.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've mentioned a couple of times in these forums that I think technology advances at such a rate, that "they" often need to invent consumer products to exploit it whether the products are actually any more necessary or useful than those they replace or drive into unnecessary obsolescence.
Are HD TV, Blu-Ray  for instance and numerous other "must-have" advances really making any real difference to enjoying a movie at home etc. Surely while nit-picking the "quality" of the appearance or sound on screen, the entertainment value is being missed. After all movies and music are made to entertain, not as test tools.
I still occasionally watch a VHS movie, because I want to see the movie, not because I want to dissect the its on-screen quality, or worry that the fast-forward is messier with VHS than it is with DVD etc. while dragging through the opening ads and credits.
Anyway, I find I prefer the "lower quality" of non-HD TV rather than the warts 'n' all that goes with it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

the more the merrier for me.  i'm looking forward to the touch screens that you can use with both hands.
Community Veteran

Yes there are definitely too many options. I am someone who is interested in technology and have always been up to speed. Yesterday I went in search of a new digital camera to replace my Canon Powershot A40 with its 2Megapixels. (It was a good camera at the time). I just don't know what to go for. Basically I want something for less than £150 that will take reasonable photos in low light without the flash as the flash completely destroys the colour in photos. I have found this when building websites for bars/restaurants. Too many options!
Community Veteran

These new fangled things I still have my crystal radio with a cats wisker (anyone else remember these) it needs no power and is very small. I do have a problem carrying the 160 mtr antenna with me though. Then there is the gramaphone and the old 78's its even portable as you just wind it up but the new groups dont seem to be on 78's. i think I still have an encyclopedia to get all the information I need no need for this fancy internt.
When you think what we used to have like typewriters and thousand of people working on them, we had people who could actually do woodwork not this new stuff but chop a peice of wood better than I can plane it with modern tools. We have lost so many skills which one day may be needed. In  a few years all we will have is a little device which does everything we wont have shops they will all be virtual shops there will be more and more out of work and more leisure time that we wont know what to do with it.
Community Veteran

I'm not entirely certain about 'more leisure time' - there's growing concern that because of the rise of technology (Blackberries, VPN, video conferencing etc.), people who used to leave their work at the office at 5pm can no longer do so, because all the new technology (in combination with their bosses) forces stuff on them when at home too.
Community Veteran

That's true.  Just go on a train or visit a pub or restaurant and see the number of people using blackberries etc.  I wonder how I managed to do all my work in a standard day Wink
Javert
Grafter

The Samsung NV9 camera claims:
“The Blink Detection function detects when a subjects eyes are closed; this feature triggers the camera to automatically take three shots in order to capture the person’s eyes open.”
“Smile Detection ensures that no happy moments are missed by taking the shot automatically when smiles are detected”
“Allows the camera to operate as more than just a digital camera but also as a movie player, text viewer, voice recorder, portable hard drive and camcorder. Watch full length movies, listen to MP3 music and record your own movies.”
Oh for the good old days when cameras simply took pictures . . . . if the subject’s eyes were shut or wasn’t smiling . . . tough!
Crazy