cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too mant TLA's

briston
Grafter

Too mant TLA's

It's bad enough having to deal with all the jargon of computers but when it being used in normal speech, where are we going to? Reading a post on another forum on here the poster used many instances of atm (at the moment?), but when PlusNet staff start using things like TBH (to be honest maybe?) it is only just a short step from using text speech. OK, so some may feel I am being picky but TBH WTF, some may ROFL its just my thoughts. There must be a book somewhere with all the three letter acronym's in, but after all even that is a TLA.. Must admit, whilst reading my own post I ROFL LMHO not to mention LMAO.
16 REPLIES
briston
Grafter

Re: Too mant TLA's

Oh dear, my earlier post was censored as I used the TLA for the  World Taekwondo Federation.  Wink. See how TLA's can be miss understood (not)
Community Veteran

I think it was my earlier post you referred to Briston.  I agree with you that they are used far too often.  I really get annoyed when people post to forums in text speak.  I think it's plain rude.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

tbh did you mean Tablas airport (code)  or TLA  what did that mean   
    Teller airport (code)  [United States]
    Three Letter Acronym
    Top Level Aggregator
see http://acronyms.silmaril.ie/cgi-bin/uncgi/acronyms or you mean from here http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/wtf
WTF What The Freak (polite form)
WTF What If
WTF World Taekwondo Federation
WTF Work Time Fun (PSP game)
WTF Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
WTF Worse Than Failure
WTF Wednesday Thursday Friday
WTF Where's the Fire?
WTF When They Fall (band)
WTF Will to Fight
WTF Williamstown Theatre Festival
WTF Wasn't That Funny
WTF Way to Fly
WTF Werewolf: the Forsaken (gaming)
WTF Way To Fail
WTF What To Fix
WTF What's This For?
WTF Write to File
WTF Welcome to Finland
WTF Where's the Food?
WTF Waking the Fallen (Avenged Sevenfold album)
WTF Women's Track and Field
WTF Who the Freak? (polite form)
WTF What the French Toast?
WTF Why The Freak (polite form)
WTF Where the Freak (polite form)
WTF Waste Treatment Facility
WTF Words That Follow (online game)
WTF Wild Turkey Federation
WTF When The Freak (polite form)
WTF What the FAQ?
WTF Why the Frown?
WTF World Trade Federation
WTF Why the Failure
WTF Wireless Telecommunications Facilities
WTF Where's The Fish?
WTF Where's the Fridge?
WTF Where's the File (software)
WTF Water Task Force
WTF Weekly Top Five
WTF World Tennis Federation
WTF What the February
WTF Witendofi (website)
WTF Weapons Tactics Force (gaming)
WTF We the Fools (radio show)
WTF Weapons Task Force (gaming)
WTF Wisconsin Test Facility
WTF Well and Truly Freaked (polite form)
WTF Washington Tennis Foundation
WTF Watergate Task Force
WTF Woodson Track and Field (Virginia)
techguy
Grafter

I find the site Urban dictionary quite useful for working out some of these slang phrases/abbreviations
Google Urban Dictionary and you'll find it.
alanb
Grafter

Briston be glad you don't live in 'TLA City' also know as Singapore. The following sentence would make perfect sense to anyone who lives there:
Sick of MRT? Get a COE from LTA, buy an MPV, then take PIE, ECP, AYE or SLE to the CBD – just pay ERP to enter.
OK lah?
Community Veteran

My goodness!!  A translation please?  Wink Wink
itsme
Grafter

Perhaps a Certificate of Entitlement be a good thing in the UK. At lest in Singapore they know how many cars are in the country. Malaysia just as bad with TLA like KL and JB.
techguy
Grafter

On the subject of abbreviations .
OK does anyone know what a RAMDAC is?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on my firefox, I highlight the suspect word, right click and on my tab a search result appears http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAMDAC
techguy
Grafter

I should have said from your own knowledge.
I should have known you'd do that pierre.
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
My goodness!!   A translation please?  Wink Wink

MRT is Singapore's mass rapid transit system. It's equivalent to the tube in London. The central part is underground, and the outer branches go overground like London.
COE is a Certificate Of Entitlement to buy a car. Singapore is tiny, roughly the same area as London, so there are restrictions on car ownership and the total numbers of cars are limited. You have to buy the COE, and only a small number are issued every year, so lot's of people don't get chance to own a car. I was there in the mid-1990's, a COE could cost up to 30,000 Singapore Dollars then, which was equivalent to something like 12,000 to 13,000 quid at the time.
LTA is the Land Transport Authority, the nearest British equivalent would the Department Of Transport (if that's what it is called today).
MPV means the same as the American term for a people carrier.
PIE, ECP, AYE and SLE are major roads. The Pan Island Expressway, the East Coast Parkway, the Ayer Rajah Expressway, and the Seletar Expressway. (They also use BKE or the Bukit Timah Expressway, TPE: Tampines Expressway, CTE: Central Expressway, KJE: Kranji Expressway, and a few others I've forgotten.)
CBD is the Central Business District of Singapore. Mainly finance, banking and insurance
ERP is the Electronic Road Pricing system, roughly equivalent to the Congestion Charging Zone in London. Though the ERP in Singapore only operates during the morning and evening rush-hours. You pay for the ERP with an IU or IVU, which is a little gizmo that sits on the dashboard or windscreen of your car that deducts money from a chipcard when you enter the ERP. Singapore had this system for almost ten years before London, and they did it right from the start. Before the ERP they had a manual system, where men and women in little huts were stationed at entry points to the charging zone.
Well - you did ask!
And there are plenty more they use, which I can't remember.
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Perhaps a Certificate of Entitlement be a good thing in the UK. At lest in Singapore they know how many cars are in the country. Malaysia just as bad with TLA like KL and JB.

I used to think that, but frankly, I think people in the UK would not accept such a policy for a variety of reasons. It is accepted in Singapore, with a lot of grumbling of course, because Singapore still lives up to it's reputation of being benevolent dictatorship, and most governmental policy is accepted with little push-back from the populace. Though that attitude is changing in Singapore, slowly.
itsme
Grafter

Did you see any car showrooms? Last year when I was over there for the F1 GP I challenged my party to spot one, I won. Should have put some money on it.
Community Veteran

Thanks alanb.  Now I understand what you meant Smiley