Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too HOT to Sleep ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Too HOT to Sleep ?

1am Sunday Morning.
Currently 26ºC in all the upstairs rooms, bedrooms included.
As it has been most of the day. Curtains closed against the Sun.
Only thing I cannot stop is the Sun heating up the external walls, acting like storage radiators.
It's just about the maximum temperature I can sleep with, as nature intended.
Yes there are Fans and Air Conditioning, but too noisy really for sleep.
The main reason, is since we had extra six inches of loft insulation installed a couple of years ago, upstairs in now a good 5ºC warmer than downstairs. And of course, Heat rises.
The temperature upstairs has remained at a fairly constant 24ºC for weeks now, opening Windows has little permanent effect.
As I say, personally 26ºC is just about my limit for a comfortable sleep, bedroom windows wide open, bug screens in place, and 18ºC outside.
A blast of Air Conditioning does lower the temperature, but it soon climbs again.
There is a nice gentle cooling breeze flowing from other open windows.
At least there is an alternative if the threatened Heatwave happens, downstairs is a cool 21ºC !!

How are you all coping ?
83 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Too HOT to Sleep ?

Still only 25.5o here
However duvets resides on the sidelines, windows open, fans blasting, yet still uncomfortable stickyness
I love this weather but it does not love me in return, If I get too hot I am susceptible to nose bleeds & to pass out Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yeah hot here too but I'm enjoying it.. I'm binging on rave music waving my arms around like a crazed man so I'm happy lol
I expect I shall be thinking the total opposite when i go to bed shortly  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

I'm fine during the day. I just seem to 'think cool' and the heat doesn't bother me.
At night it's a different story. I feel hot and clammy unless I can stretch out so I frequently sleep in the living room. But no matter how hot it is I must have a duvet around me or I just can't sleep.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Ah see I dump the duvet in the heat. Odd thing is despite having the missus next t me for a cuddle i scrunch up the duvet between us and cuddle that instead  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Open the loft hatch? It should provide a nice escape route for all the heat.
I should try this, rather than sleeping with an oscillating desk fan running all night.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Infinity
Pro

We had some gentle Rain overnight, great for the Garden, but it hasn't really cooled down outside, down a measly 1ºC !!
Bedroom has also cooled by 1ºC, and managed 4 hours of sleep.
On the plus side, as Day Breaks, it is lovely to walk in the Garden, all refreshed after the Rain and hear the sounds of the Birds waking up.
Community Veteran

to me its pretty bad
some people seem to consider this weather "pleasant" tho., I call them coldies.  People who feel colder than myself (they have heating on in autumn and spring etc. and find summer plesant)
I am sleeping in a thin tshirt now instead of topless, I find it acts as an inhibitor of sweat getting on to bed sheets, much easier to change a t-shirt than bed coverings.
Thankfully so far things arent as bad as last year and the last day or 2 has improved a bit.  But the midlands is the hottest part of the country sadly and with the least air movement to boot.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

been fortunate where I live so far only 2 nights this year with the temperature above 18, but to me anything above 15 needs a fan to make things bearable in the night.
having said that I cant sleep without something covering my body even if its just a thin bedsheet.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
1am Sunday Morning.

Overcast today, the temperature upstairs has now dropped to 24ºC.
Fixes: 125

Some heavy rain this morning but it's still very close and humid.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

sun is out in full force now, waiting for the darkness to come for some relief.
rain is uncommon around here as by the time it gets inland it usually dies off.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just been chatting to my friend who lives in Riyadh in Saudi Arabia. The temperature dropped to 39 Dec C today.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Makes a change from comments on how poor the summer is due to rain and low temperatures, guess we are lucky to live in a country where we rarely get extremes of weather and when this does occur it usually lasts for a short period,
Just think , you could pay good money to go abroad for weather like this with no guarantee you would get it.
Can's sleep....... have a few large glasses of your favourite alcoholic drink and sleep should not be a problem  Cheesy
Infinity
Pro

1am Sunday Morning.

Overcast today, the temperature upstairs has now dropped to 24ºC.

3am Monday morning, still a pleasant 24ºC in the Bedroom.
Outside it's cooler at 12ºC
However, according to the Weather Forecast, it's going to get hotter again by the end of the Week !!