Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tommy Robinson

Highlighted
John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Re: Tommy Robinson

@wotsup wrote:

Never mentioned Dinosaurs in any bible I ever saw....

The Bible does mention Leviathon (a giant sea creature) and Behemoth (which sounds remarkably like a dinosaur), but even if it didn't, that just means that men weren't around at the same time as dinosaurs, which is what scientists tell us anyway.

As for the Adam and Eve query earlier, firstly; the  Adam and Eve story is not intended to be literal, it's an analogy.

I don't claim to be a theologian, so by all means ignore my thoughts, they could be wrong.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@TTman 

"....where did God come from"

That makes the assumption that there is a God, and given that there is not.... well "nothing can come from nothing" as Eric Idle sang nailed up as he was.

The answer I often get from the commited is 'God is, and God has always been'. 

*shakes head in disbelief* 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@John_Hull 

For the honest few it's an analogy, for the dishonest it's the truth - which it ain't.

What is true is that some people will be believe anything in the absence of something credible to believe in and fine if they take comfort from that. But there it must stay, and others must not be obliged to be indoctrinated either by education or by force.

You will often hear 'well everbody has to believe in something'

Err, no they do not.  

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman  I did say that God was a explanation for what man did not understand and what created God...that was the gist of what I meantThumbs Up

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

You did indeed, and I was endorsing (perhaps not clearly enough) what you were saying. Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@John_Hull 

So, for clarity, are you saying that the issue isn't "the establishment", it's "the govenment"?

The establishment as I see it are group that out of self interest seek to control democracy, so on that basis it can be both the judiciary and the government.

From my own admittedly Left wing perspective but there you have it, and to borrow much as it pains me to do so from the likes of Owen Jones, 'As the well connected right wing blogger and columnist Paul Staines puts it approvingly: "We've had nearly a century of universal suffrage now, and what happens is Capital finds ways to protect itself from, you know, the voters."

For Capital, read.... the establishment. Wink

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@wotsup wrote:

I like the Christian fish symbol but with legs and 'Darwin' inside - puts it all in perspective. Never mentioned Dinosaurs in any bible I ever saw....

http://www.darwinfish.co.uk/darwinfish.html

@wotsup  I'm thinking you mean the word. No the word does not appear, but there are references to behemoths and leviathans, which are taken to be giant creatures. Your way of thinking seems limited, for example the word electricity is not found, but we know lightning has existed.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@John_Hull and now @Luzern 

On Leviathan

Like so much else the bible drew on comparative mythology. Dragons and such like were spoken of in much earlier times and from older religions. They were not the first for example to come up with the idea of virgin births or the slaying of the innocents.

Also consider that a certain Thomas Hobbss wrote a book called Leviathan, but that was about governments and not imaginary monsters from the deep. Roll eyes

Leviathan: Or the Matter, Forme and Power of a Commonwealth Ecclesiasticall and Civil

Thomas Hobbss. 1588-1679.

wotsup
Aspiring Champion

Double post - got an error message
wotsup
Aspiring Champion

@TTman wrote:

@Minivanman  I did say that God was a explanation for what man did not understand and what created God...

Tell real twist here is that men created god in their own image.....

Problem I have with religion it is all 'jam tomorrow'  - behave yourself today , do as you are told and be meek and mild and when you die you will get a reward...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@wotsup 

Just be thankful you don't belong to that other lot.

Boom! 

Community Veteran

I see nothing wrong with the bible as is. I see it as a good collection of parables. I don't think the world has quite yet moved past the point of not needing more lessons in morality and behaviour.

Yes a lot of it can be seen as quaint views from a bygone age but there's still a fair bit that still remains relevant to today.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@billnotben 

Indeed, but the bible is neither the source or the original author of such and to claim as some do to be our guide for morality and behaviour, well I'm afraid others have gotten there first and many more since.

Some good bits as you say, but they are universal truths that should need no telling. As for the bad bits well that's where it all comes unstuck causing the modernist within the faith resort to a 'pick n mix' religion. 

And let's not forget on this anniversay of the first Moon landing, it was only four hundred years ago or less that Galileo was nearly burnt at the stake just for looking at it and had to recant what he knew to be true. Roll eyes

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

@John_Hull and now @Luzern 

On Leviathan

Like so much else the bible drew on comparative mythology. Dragons and such like were spoken of in much earlier times and from older religions. They were not the first for example to come up with the idea of virgin births or the slaying of the innocents.

Also consider that a certain Thomas Hobbss wrote a book called Leviathan, but that was about governments and not imaginary monsters from the deep. Roll eyes

Leviathan: Or the Matter, Forme and Power of a Commonwealth Ecclesiasticall and Civil

Thomas Hobbss. 1588-1679.

@Minivanman You seem to be suggesting that, because the bible drew on existing earlier sources on such creatures, there is no truth in them. have I got you wrong?

Something's not being original does not lessen it in any way, nor does mythology necessarily hold no truth. Myth comes from Greek meaning: utterance, speech, discourse, tale, narrative, fiction, legend, so is not only the final two in the list

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@wotsup wrote:

@TTman wrote:

@Minivanman  I did say that God was a explanation for what man did not understand and what created God...

Tell real twist here is that men created god in their own image.....

Problem I have with religion it is all 'jam tomorrow'  - behave yourself today , do as you are told and be meek and mild and when you die you will get a reward...

@wotsup That's a very blinkered view. You ignore the drive true religious people have to fight for justice, better peoples' conditions, and much more.