cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toilets

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Toilets

There was a elderly lady on the regional news who had been shopping with her husband who had a number of medical problems and required the use of a toilet, they had gone into 4 different shops where a request for her husband to use the toilet was refused and he ended up having an accident.
Public toilets have been closed in many areas due to cost and if you are in a big town or city there are usually large stores or pubs where you could go but in smaller villages such facilities are unlikely to be available.
I would be interested to hear any thoughts anyone might have on this topic, no doubt some responses will turn the topic into a joke but if we could keep it serious for a while that would be helpful.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Toilets

I had a prostatectomy last April, which left me temporarily incontinent. Had to use pads for a while but on two occasions after I thought I could do without I risked going shopping. The hospital had given me a card with brief info on about the condition (designed to produce in case of emergencies and designed to discretely flash in a shop or similar), and it worked on both occasions. Used the staff bogs without any objections, fortunately for me!
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I've had prostate cancer for 6 years and on hormone treatment - and one of the side effects is more visits to the loo.
There are several cards you can get to show to shops and pubs like nozzer says - I've not had any trouble finding one when needed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Toilets in shops, are there for the "convenience" ( no pun intended) of the shop staff, and have to be cleaned.  we had a small tea room in a small town for a couple of years, and we used to let the customers use the toilet, as is "normal" practice in tea rooms.....  however,... some people used to come in off the street on Market days, and ask to use the toilet, as the public toilet was some 250 to 300 yards from the market.... on these occasions, I often refused permission to them.... and on the odd occasion when I did "relent" it was to my horror... the condition that the toilet, and the toilet pan was left in, after use... from that moment on , a total ban on "outsiders" using it was in force.
In the case of your O.P. I would probably have allowed the person to use it...
As an aside.... there is an app, you can get for your mobile phone called  " Toilet Finder"....
If you are in need, and in the area, of your big supermarkets... they do not have anyone asking if you are a customer........
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Having also been a urological patient i found myself in a pickle a while back at an ASDA store that we were visiting out of town. Went in, bursting for a pee and the customer toilets were shut Shocked I was absolutely desperate and had to beg for help from them - they didn't want to know until i said i'd have to go outside and use the wall due to recent medical complications with the waterworks. At that point they were suddenly more than happy to volunteer the staff toilets - which were incredibly nice compared to the normal public ones.
Luckily i'm over that phase now (though may be going through it again soon) but it wasn't nice.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

I used the same hairdresser for years and I got to know the owner and staff extremely well but was still refused access when I was desperate at one appointment Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If you can't use someone else's loo, take one with you... Grin
Community Veteran

The "big plan" originally was for Pubs to supply the toilets.
But so many pubs have closed and on top of that cars being banned/discouraged from many city centres the money saving "plan" clearly needs a re-think.

That said, when I used to walk around with my dear old Mum, most shops were happy to allow her to use their staff toilets.
Today though I did overhear a woman being refused the use of a charity shop toilet despite her saying she used to work there.
Insurance cover in case of an accident was the excuse used.
Community Veteran

I don't think most stores would mind the occasional request but would not be happy if it became overused. It's unfair on the staff who have to clean the toilets if they have been misused as indicated by Shutter.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nozzer
The hospital had given me a card with brief info on about the condition (designed to produce in case of emergencies and designed to discretely flash in a shop or similar), and it worked on both occasions.

Quote from: Mal08
There are several cards you can get to show to shops and pubs like nozzer says - I've not had any trouble finding one when needed.

Thanks for the info guys - good to know should the need arise.
Meanwhile, nice to see karma in action - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11989201/South-Lanarkshire-Council-deputy-leade...
Not young enough to know everything
Mal08
Rising Star

I thought every cafe / restaurant had to have a toilet ? - surely council could come up with a scheme - possible council tax reduction? and for future planning applications  make it mandatory to put in larger toilets depending on the size of the building
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It is strange how Local Authorities cannot afford Public Conveniences but can afford PR officials.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nadger
Rising Star

I have a card from my urostomy supplier politely requesting that I be allowed to use toilet and also have a key that gives free access to many disabled toilets.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for the sensible replies, although I am another with an enlarged prostate which is common in men of my age I do not as yet have a sudden urge to go but suspect that will change in time.
The info from nozzer regarding the cards is very helpful as I did not know they existed.
I bet the lack of toilets prevents many men and women of all ages from going out, or going far from home.
Mal08
Rising Star